Seeking a Research Scientist or a Senior Research Scientist (21R11)
Research Field and Overview
Mathematical Science Team is a team consisting of pure mathematician and theoretical physicists with aim of attacking mathematical problem arising in artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist: 1 position
The position at the time of hiring will be determined through the selection process.
The candidate should have research achievements related to both mathematics and artificial intelligence. Leveraging such ability, the successful candidate is expected to conduct research related to artificial intelligence and machine learning. In the medium to long term, the candidate should contribute to the research activities of RIKEN as a whole by providing advanced mathematical knowledge and techniques through joint research both within the AIP Center and with other centers; to be involved in the planning and management of activities such as seminars and outreach of the Mathematical Sciences Team.
The successful candidate is expected to conduct research and development on topics specified above and to contribute to the management of the laboratory. Senior Research Scientist is also expected to assist the laboratory head.
Doctoral degree (or equivalent research ability and background) in the relevant research field.
Initial work location
Branch and address
RIKEN AIP Center in Keio University (Yagami Campus)
(3-14-1 Hiyoshi Kouhoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa)
Conditions, Salary and Benefits
Type of employment
The post is an indefinite-term employment position, subject to RIKEN's mandatory retirement age of 60. There is a re-employment program to hire individuals as fixed-term employees from age 60 to age 65. This position does NOT offer a retirement allowance.
As an exception, depending on screening results, the successful candidate may be initially employed on a fixed-term employment contract up to a maximum of 5 years with the possibility of being promoted to indefinite-term employment after a separate review process that will take place, as a general rule, at the end of the first 3 years of employment. Remuneration and work conditions for fixed-term employment are based on the same conditions as those for indefinite-term employment.
Remuneration and other provisions
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 436,300 JPY (based on FY 2021 actuals (for a Senior Research Scientist)) and 412,700 JPY (based on FY 2021 actuals (for a Research Scientist)). The monthly base salary is subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Bonuses or retirement benefits will not be paid.
(Approximate annual salary at the time of employment)
- If hired as a Research Scientist:
The monthly salary at the time of employment, in the case that the employee has experience, ability, and achievement of approximately 5 years after completion of his/her doctoral degree, will be approximately 530,000 JPY.
- If hired as a Senior Research Scientist:
The monthly salary at the time of employment, in the case that the employee has experience, ability, and achievement of approximately 10 years after completion of his/her doctoral degree, will be approximately 670,000 JPY.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
Eligible to apply for Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003.
RIKEN may instruct changes of workplace or assignment due to closure of the laboratory or other management decisions.
Application and required documents
We will have an information session for this job opening. For detail, please see the following site:
Information session for international public job offer of Mathematical Science Team (21R10, 21R11)
- A) Applicant registration
To register, access the website noted below, and enter the required basic information.
Mathematical Science Team, AIP Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist
- B) After you have registered online you will automatically be sent an email from kjk-desk [at] spdr-fpr.com with your user ID, registration number, and password. Go to the website indicated in the email and upload your application documents (1) — (6).
You may revise your basic information and upload revised documents later if necessary. Please double check, however, that you have successfully uploaded your final application documents by the deadline.
All files must first be converted to PDF format before you can upload them. Word files cannot be uploaded.
- (1)Research and development achievements (list of publications, list of patents, list of presentations etc.)
- (2)Lists of external funds received, awards received, and other achievements including contribution to society through activities in scientific societies, joint research projects, technology transfers, and the like.
- (3)Outlines of your research and development projects to date (3 pages, A4 size)
- (4)Your future research and development plans and perspectives if you are accepted for the position (3 pages in A4 size in total)
- (5)One set of copies of your major papers (maximum number: 5)
- (6)Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
- (7)Letters of recommendation from two persons who can evaluate your work
- One letter must be from your current supervisor or academic advisor.
- Another letter must be from a person who is not affiliated with RIKEN.
- All the application documents including letters of recommendation should be prepared in English or Japanese, and uploaded in PDF format. Documents may be in black and white or color.
About letters of recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be directly sent to RIKEN by the referee. A request for a letter of recommendation will be automatically sent to the email addresses for references that you list when you register to apply. Please check if your referees have received the email request automatically sent from kjk-desk [at] spdr-fpr.com. You can also check on the status of your letters of recommendation through the online application system.
If none of your current supervisors or academic advisors are able to prepare a letter of recommendation, a letter from a third person will be accepted.
There is no set format for the letters of recommendation but they must meet the following conditions: they must be addressed to the President of RIKEN, Hiroshi Matsumoto, and include the date of issue. Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address).
For applicant registration:
Noon, October 15, 2021 (Japan time).
For revising or uploading application documents and letters of recommendation:
Noon, October 21, 2021 (Japan time).
Handling of personal information
All private data sent to RIKEN in applications for employment are handled in strict confidentiality, and will not be used for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party.
After application documents are screened, only the successful candidates will be asked to have an interview. There will be final interviews with RIKEN executive directors as part of the hiring process.
Start of Employment
RIKEN expects that the successful applicant will be able to take up this position at the earliest opportunity after April 1, 2022.
- No information can be released regarding application status or evaluation details prior to, during, or after the evaluation process.
- Application documents will not be returned.
- For further details on application or research activities at RIKEN, see the RIKEN website.
- RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
For inquiries concerning the research
Dr. Kenichi Bannai (Team Leader)
Email: kenichi.bannai [at] riken.jp
For other inquiries
Research Personnel Affairs Section
Human Resources Division, RIKEN
Email: kjk-desk [at] riken.jp
Contact by phone is not available.