Seeking a few Postdoctoral Researchers (RIKEN-Berkeley Fellow associated with N3AS) (W21157)
RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program
(Program Director: Tetsuo Hatsuda)
Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program (iTHEMS) at RIKEN (Director, Tetsuo Hatsuda) and Network for Neutrinos, Nuclear Astrophysics, and Symmetries (N3AS), NSF Physics Frontier Center, University of California, Berkeley (Director, Wick Haxton) are jointly seeking postdoctoral researcher(s) to pursue top-level research on theory issues in neutrino physics, nucleosynthesis, dense matter and neutron stars, dark matter and astrophysical simulations.
More details on iTHEMS and N3AS can be found at RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program (iTHEMS) and N3AS - Network for Neutrinos, Nuclear Astrophysics, and Symmetries, respectively.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher (RIKEN-Berkeley Fellow associated with N3AS), a few positions
Theoretical works associated with neutrino physics, nucleosynthesis, dense matter and neutron stars, dark matter, astrophysical simulations and related fields.
The candidate should possess or is expected to obtain a doctoral degree by the starting date.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Successful applicants will work and spend the first three months at the RIKEN Wako campus, and the remainder of the years at the RIKEN Berkeley Center at the University of California, Berkeley on a long term-business trip. The appointments of the RIKEN-Berkeley Fellow are made through RIKEN iTHEMS.
Network for Neutrinos, Nuclear Astrophysics, and Symmetries (N3AS), NSF Physics Frontier Center,
University of California, Berkeley (MC7300, South Physics Building, University of California, Berkeley CA 94720, USA)
Salary and benefits
- 1.Based on RIKEN’s regulations the initial salary will be about 5,850K JP Yens, including the discretionary work allowance. Based on N3AS-PFC Fellows program, the Fellow will receive a supplement about 20K USD during their stay on their business trip to Berkeley, which includes a substantial travel allowance.
- 2.A maximum three-year, fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, within a period of 3 years from date of hire.
- 3.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 4.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013, for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Cover letter
- 2.Curriculum Vitae
- *Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W21157).
- 3.List of publications (including preprints)
- 4.Research statement (summary of current and past research)
- 5.Research proposal (describe your own research objectives)
- 6.Your interest and views on interdisciplinary theoretical and mathematical sciences
- 7.Three reference letters (including one from the current supervisor, If available)
- 8.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Application documents should be uploaded through Academic Jobs Online.
To ensure full consideration, interested candidates are requested to submit their applications before the deadline of December 1, 2021.
Handling personal data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
After April 1, 2022 (Negotiable)
RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program (iTHEMS)
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
For inquiry, send an e-mail to ithems_app [at] ml.riken.jp with Subj: RIKEN-Berkeley Fellow (W21157)