Seeking a few Postdoctoral Researchers or Research Scientists (W21181)
To open up new possibilities for molecular measurements, our laboratory promotes advanced basic research in molecular science by developing / utilizing new spectroscopic methods and making it possible to observe molecular phenomena that could not be observed by existing conventional methods. Specifically, based on ultrashort pulse laser technology, we conduct (1) research on complex molecular systems by ultrafast spectroscopy, (2) research on interfaces by nonlinear spectroscopy, and (3) research on biomacromolecules by single-molecule spectroscopy.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist: a few positions
Successful candidates are expected to carry out one of the following three: (1) research on complex molecular systems by ultrafast spectroscopy, (2) research on interfaces by nonlinear spectroscopy, and (3) research on biomacromolecules by single-molecule spectroscopy.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree (or should be expected to obtain a doctoral degree before the starting date) in a related research field. Research experiences related to the three subjects of this laboratory is preferred, but previous experience is not mandatory as long as the candidate has strong interest. Young researchers willing to carry out challenging research are most welcome.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to the end of March 2027 from date of hire.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013, for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W21181).
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- 4.Brief description of previous research and future research plans (within two A4-size pages)
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to tahei [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to tahei [at] riken.jp)
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
April 1, 2022 (Negotiable)
RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research
Molecular Spectroscopy Laboratory
Email: tahei [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.