Seeking a Technical Staff I or II (W21183)
Floating-Electron-Based Quantum Information RIKEN Hakubi Research Team
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing
(Laboratory head: Erika Kawakami)
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing (RQC) aims to study quantum information theory, develop techniques for quantum control and measurement, build quantum computing hardware and software, and explore novel quantum technologies. We promote the progress of quantum information science and contribute to society through the application of quantum technologies.
Our team is working on the application of the physical system called electrons on helium to quantum information. Electrons on helium is a unique clean physical system to realize qubits with. We also work on the technological development required for large-scale quantum computation.
For more information, please refer to website:
- Floating-Electron-Based Quantum Information RIKEN Hakubi Research Team's Website
- Floating-Electron-Based Quantum Information RIKEN Hakubi Research Team
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Technical staff Ⅰ* (discretionary labor system) or technical staff Ⅱ** (non discretionary labor system): 1 position
- *Technical staff I must provide technical supports independently to implement the lab missions.
- **Technical staff II must provide technical supports under the direction of the supervisor.
*The applicant will be assigned to an appropriate position based on his/her ability, aptitude, etc.
technical support and technical development on low-temperature experiments and device fabrication
The successful candidate should:
- have an ability to use PC and knowledge of scientific field equivalent to graduation from science or technical university,
- have good communication skills in English and be able to cooperate with the relevant personnel within/outside of the laboratory to fulfill the tasks,
- preferably have experience in computer programming, network management or mechanical machining,
- preferably have experience in nano-fabrication or electronic circuit design, and
- be willing to learn if they do not possess any of the above skills or experience.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
The following rules do not apply if the appointment is to begin on or after April 1, 2023, in accordance with the open recruitment procedure by RIKEN after October 17, 2022.
"The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 5/10 years from the initial date of hire (or 5/10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date)."
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to the end of August 2027 from date of hire. However, in principle, evaluation will be conducted every 3 years, and although the contract will be renewed in the year after evaluation, renewal in subsequent years will depend on the results of the evaluation.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date). However, employees who have previously worked at RIKEN may be subject to different rules on period of fixed-term employment. Please refer “RIKEN employment duration for fixed-term employees” for more details if necessary.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
- Technical Staf I
- This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
- Technical Staff II
- Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50). Supervisors may instruct employees to work outside of these hours.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “W21183”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of skills, job experiences and research achievements
- 3.Copies of up to three major papers (if applicable)
- 4.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- 5.Motivation letter
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Please send inquiries to the contact address listed below, and send the PDF formatted application by email to the same address.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
At the earliest possible time (negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Floating-Electron-Based Quantum Information RIKEN Hakubi Research Team, RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Tel: +81 (0) 48-467-9430
Email: erika.kawakami [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of Nov. 16, 2022: "Salary and benefits"