Seeking a few Postdoctoral Researchers (W21185)
The missions of RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing (RQC) are to deepen our understandings of quantum mechanics and quantum information, develop techniques for quantum control and measurement, build quantum computing hardware and software, and explore novel applications. We promote basic research on quantum information science and contribute to society through quantum technology.
Our team, Superconducting Quantum Electronics Research Team, is involved in Quantum Leap Flagship Program (Q-LEAP), where we develop superconducting quantum circuits for quantum information processing. Toward realization of quantum computers, we explore new ideas and techniques for larger-scale integration of qubits, higher-fidelity control and readout, and longer coherence of qubits. For that, we are hiring talented postdoctoral researchers who have experience and expertise in experimental research on quantum electronics, quantum information science, condensed matter physics, etc.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Superconducting Quantum Electronics Research Team
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher: a few positions available
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research and development of superconducting quantum computing systems.
Applicants must have a doctor degree (or must be expected to receive a doctor degree until the employment). Applicants should have experience of post-doctoral research of less than 5 years.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to the end of March 2025 from date of hire.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013, for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.In principle, the Center will be in place until March 31, 2025. This is until the end of the mid-term target period. If it is decided to continue into the next mid-term target period, the limit of the employment duration may be extended.
- 5.There is a review system (conducted in their fourth year) for Postdoctoral Researchers for a promotion to Research Scientist. If they are promoted to Research Scientist, they will be able to renew their contract for up to 10 years in total which is counted from the start of their employment as a Postdoctoral Researcher.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “W21185”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- 4.PDF files of up to three major papers
- 5.Summary of major achievements to date and research proposal in future (three pages in total, A4 sized paper)
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters combined into a single ZIP file should be uploaded to the following website:
The file name of the ZIP should contain your contact email address.
After you uploaded the ZIP file, please let us (yasunobu.nakamura [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the file name "RQC, Post-doctoral Researcher [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
After the referees uploaded the recommendation letter, please let us (yasunobu.nakamura [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: yasunobu.nakamura [at] riken.jp.
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
April 1, 2022 (Negotiable)
RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Superconducting Quantum Electronics Research Team
Email: yasunobu.nakamura [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.