Seeking a few Postdoctoral Researchers or Research Scientists (W21203)
We employ various numerical methods to study emergent phenomena in strongly correlated quantum systems. Our recent interests include novel electronic states in strongly correlated electrons with strong spin-orbit interaction and emergent magnetic structures in complex transition metal oxide heterostructures.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist: 2 positions
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
*The applicant will be assigned to an appropriate position based on their ability, aptitude, etc.
Theoretical study of emergent phenomenon for strongly correlated quantum systems under equilibrium and nonequilibrium conditions using various numerical techniques such as quantum Monte Carlo method, tensor network method, density matrix renormalization group method, and exact diagonalization method.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree by theoretical study in the field of condensed matter physics, or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree by theoretical study in the field of condensed matter physics before the work start date.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
The following rules do not apply if the appointment is to begin on or after April 1, 2023, in accordance with the open recruitment procedure by RIKEN after October 17, 2022.
"The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 5/10 years from the initial date of hire (or 5/10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date)."
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 5 years of employment for Postdoctoral Researcher and 10 years of employment for Research Scientist.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 5.For Research Scientist: When the Employee's research is scheduled for review in the Employee's 5 years from the original date of hire at CEMS, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and Required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *(RIKEN CV) Write the open call ID “W21203”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of publication, invited and contributed talks, and research fund
- 3.Summary of research achievements and research proposal in future (4-5 pages)
- 4.One or two letters of recommendation including one from the current supervisor
Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
(If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
- 5.Copies of representative publications (no more than five)
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to yunoki [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to yunoki [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of employment
April 1, 2022 (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Computational Quantum Matter Research Team, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: yunoki [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of Nov. 16, 2022: "Salary and benefits"