Seeking a few Senior Scientists, Research Scientists or Postdoctoral Researchers (R-CCS2121)
Data Assimilation Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
(Team Leader: Takemasa Miyoshi)
RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS), led by Center Director Satoshi Matsuoka, is an international research center in high performance computing and computational science in Japan. Our objectives are to investigate “the Science of (high performance) computing, by computing, and for computing”, to research and develop our technologies (R-CCS technology) and software (R-CCS software), which we consider our core competence, in order to produce world-leading scientific and engineering results for use in Japan as well as globally.
Also, R-CCS started operating Japan’s national flagship supercomputer Fugaku, as a shared national facility to support a wide range of research activities since 2021.
The Data Assimilation Research Team ("DA team") performs cutting-edge research and development on advanced data assimilation methods and their wide applications, aiming at integrating computer simulations and real-world data in the wisest way. The DA team tackles challenging problems to develop fundamental technologies integrating data-driven and process-driven approaches, taking advantage of advanced high-performance computers (HPC) and various sources of data in the new era of IoT (Internet of Things), Big Data and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Job title and job descriptions
Senior Scientist, Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher: a few positions available
Conduct research and development on data assimilation. Some examples follow:
- 1.Advanced research on data assimilation with numerical weather prediction models, e.g., data assimilation of advanced sensors such as satellites and radars.
- 2.Theoretical research on data assimilation, including (but not limited to) an algorithmic design for efficient computations and methodological development for nonlinear, non-Gaussian applications. For example, particle filters for high-dimensional applications and cooperation/integration with Uncertainty Quantification (UQ).
- 3.Research on advancing data assimilation for making sense of “Big Data.” Integrating data-driven and process-driven approaches in a broader sense. Integrating AI and data assimilation with high-performance computation (HPC).
- 4.Research on pioneering new applications of data assimilation for various HPC-based simulations. We will investigate the applicability and effectiveness of data assimilation to a wide range of simulation fields and develop new application areas.
- 5.Research on numerical weather prediction and AI weather services using satellite-borne microwave radiometers. We will construct a numerical weather prediction system that includes data assimilation of satellite-borne microwave radiometers, and quantify what kind of data is effective in improving forecast accuracy. It will contribute to the design of hardware and observations, as well as quantify the value of the data. We will also develop software for AI weather services with this data.
- 6.Big data assimilation research for disaster prevention of heavy rainfall and urban flooding. For rapid precipitation and flood forecasting, this research will develop a meteorological and hydrological observation network and develop precipitation nowcasts based on precipitation radar and satellite observations. Furthermore, we aim to improve the forecast accuracy with deep learning. In addition, we will develop a widespread system for numerical weather prediction based on "big data assimilation", which is extremely unique and novel in the world. To improve the precipitation forecast, we will work on high-resolution and high-frequency assimilation of precipitation radar observations. Research will also be conducted to elucidate the predictability and mechanism of precipitation. This research may be engaged in collaboration with Argentina (Includes local stays of several months per year.).
Senior Scientist assists the team leader, plays a leadership role in the team, and makes significant contributions to the team management and operation.
Applicants must have a doctoral degree or expect to receive a doctoral degree before the date of appointment. In general, those who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years will be appointed as Postdoctoral Researchers, and those who earned a doctorate more than 5 years ago will be appointed as Research Scientists.
A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree such as D.Sc. and D.Eng. with strong background in data assimilation and related research fields. Senior Scientist position is considered for those who have outstanding record of original research in the fields closely related to data assimilation and have more than 5-year postdoctoral experience. Proven skill in UNIX and FORTRAN90 and/or other programming languages for scientific computation is required. DA team is interested in skilled and motivated applicants who have a strong motivation about data assimilation research. Experience with high-performance parallel computers is a great plus. Excellent communication skill in English (or Japanese) is required.
Branch and address
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
7-1-26, Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0047, JAPAN
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.(Postdoctoral Researcher) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to five years since the initial date of hire.
- 2(Research Scientist or Senior Scientist) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to seven years since the initial date of hire.
- 3.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days per year depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work-life balance holidays (up to 7 days per year depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
No smoking on site.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Please prepare the following documents in English.
No format specified. Please make sure to include applicant’s name, date of birth, nationality, academic background, work history including the applicant’s current affiliation, and email address.
- 2.List of research achievements
Include not only peer-reviewed papers but also awards and competitive funds received, achievements in research while working in the private sectors. Also include quantitative evaluation indexes such as the Google Scholar citation index as much as possible.
- 3.Copies of up to five most important publications (Please mark the papers on the list of publications.)
When the original publications are not in PDF format, scan the papers and save them as PDF documents prior to submission.
- 4.List of external funds acquired, awards received, and other achievements including, contributions to university/institution operations, contribution to society through activities in academic societies, joint research projects, technology transfers, etc.
- 5.Description of previous research, future research plans, and career goals: No format specified, approximately three to four A4 pages in total. It is desirable that a diagram describing the research is provided.
- 6.Recommendation letters in English from one or two persons who can evaluate your work
- *One recommendation letter should be written by the applicant’s current supervisor. When it is difficult to do so, a recommendation letter written by a third party may be accepted.
- *If the applicant currently works for RIKEN, recommendation letter(s) should be written by person(s) outside of RIKEN.
- *The letters should be addressed to RIKEN R-CCS Director. Digital signature image can be embedded in the recommendation letters within the PDF file. Or please specify the referee’s contact information (name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address) in the letter.
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Combine the above documents into a single PDF file and upload them to the following website:
Applications for R-CCS Data Assimilation Research Team
The file name of the PDF should contain the job ad number “R-CCS2121, Data Assimilation Research Team” and the applicant’s name. Please write the name of the position that you apply for in the “Add additional information” box.
After you uploaded the PDF file, please let us (kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file. When you send us an email, please write your name, Job Ad number and the name of the position that you apply for.
If the recommendation letter is directly submitted from the referees, please send it to (kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp) by attaching it to the email. Please write "R-CCS Data Assimilation Research Team, [name of the position], [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)” in the subject line and specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the email.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp.
Note: Submitted documents will not be returned.
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Handling Personal Data
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and interviews will be conducted for selected applicants (2 interviews for Research Scientist position and one interview for Postdoctoral Researcher position.) No inquiries on the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of Employment
at the earliest opportunity (subject to negotiation)
Application files will not be returned.
- Updated as of Apr 12, 2022: "Deadline"
- Updated as of Nov. 7, 2022: "Salary and benefits"
- Updated as of May. 22, 2023: "Work location" and "Salary and benefits"
For inquiries on research conducted by the team, please contact the Team Leader by email:
Data Assimilation Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
Email: da-team-desk [at] ml.riken.jp