Seeking a few Research Scientists or Senior Research Scientists (W21319)
RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program
(Program Director: Tetsuo Hatsuda)
iTHEMS promotes interdisciplinary collaborations and the creation of new interdisciplinary fields through interactions among researchers in mathematics, theoretical sciences, and computational sciences. iTHEMS aims to nurture and support young scientists eager to cross disciplinary boundaries.
For more information, please refer to the following link:
RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program (iTHEMS) website
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist, a few positions
Position-specific task is as follows:
- Research Scientist
- Conduct and direct their own research project(s), and expand their research focus beyond their discipline through new research collaborations.
- Senior Research Scientist
- Same as Research Scientist, but additionally assist the Program Director and Deputy Program Directors, and lead, supervise and support researchers affiliated with iTHEMS.
iTHEMS is seeking a research scientist or senior research scientist in theoretical and mathematical biology or biophysics. The successful applicant is expected not only to pursue top-level research in mathematical science but also to lead interdisciplinary collaborations among different fields such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, information sciences, computational sciences, and social sciences, under the concept of iTHEMS. Prospective applicants are encouraged to visit the RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program (iTHEMS) website and identify iTHEMS Members with whom they could imagine collaborating. For more details, send an email to the contact address below.
The candidate should possess or is expected to obtain a doctoral degree by the starting date.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of 5 years (Research Scientist) or 7 years (Senior Research Scientist) from the initial date of hire.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013, for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Curriculum Vitae (CV)*
- *Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W21319).
- 2.List of publications (including pre-prints)
- 3.Research statement (summary of current and past research relevant to this position; 2 pages max)
- 4.Research proposal (describe your research objectives over the time-scale of the position [5-7 years]; 3 pages max)
- 5.Interdisciplinary statement (discuss your views and interest on interdisciplinarity, and how you see yourself interacting with iTHEMS members from other fields; 1 page max)
- 6.Contact information of two persons willing to provide a reference.
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Application documents should be uploaded through Academic Jobs Online.
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled.
We will first select the application documents that have arrived by July 8, 2022.
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
Oct. 1, 2022 (Negotiable)
RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program (iTHEMS)
For inquiry, send an email to ithems_app [at] ml.riken.jp with Subj: iTHEMS RS/SRS (W21319).