Seeking Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (R-CCS2206)
RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS), led by Center Director Satoshi Matsuoka, is an international research center in high performance computing and computational science in Japan. Our objectives are to investigate "the Science of (high performance) computing, by computing, and for computing", to research and develop our technologies (R-CCS technology) and software (R-CCS software), which we consider our core competence, in order to produce world-leading scientific and engineering results for use in Japan as well as globally.
Also, R-CCS started operating Japan's national flagship supercomputer Fugaku, as a shared national facility to support a wide range of research activities since 2021.
The Computational Structural Biology Research Team aims to advance our understanding of biological processes by studying the structures and dynamics of biological molecules. More particularly, the team aims to develop computational tools that can be used to interpret structural data as obtained from cryo-electron microscopy, electron tomography, atomic force microscopy, and x-ray free-electron laser experiments.
Job title and job descriptions
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher: 2 positions
We are seeking scientists who can engage in research and development in the area of structural analysis of biological complexes. Our group is working on multiple projects.
- 1)Development of new computational methods to infer the structure and dynamics of biomolecules by integrating different types of experimental data such as X-ray crystallography, cryo-electron microscopy (EM), tomography (ET), atomic force microscopy (AFM), and X-ray free-electron laser (XFEL). Biological systems of interest range from the molecular level (building atomic models) to the cell level (coarse-grained modeling).
- 2)Development of algorithms to analyze data from time-resolved experiments to obtain molecular-level descriptions of protein functional dynamics, which are then applied to experimental data to better understand biological processes.
- 3)Collaborative work with experimental groups to study specific biological systems via MD simulations and other modeling techniques
Applicants must have a doctoral degree or expect to receive a doctoral degree before the date of appointment. In general, those who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years will be appointed as Postdoctoral Researcher, and those who earned a doctorate more than 5 years ago will be appointed as Research Scientist. Applications are welcome from any field, although proven skill in UNIX and programming languages for scientific computation is required. Experience with 2D image analysis in relation to X-ray diffraction and electron microscopy, MD simulations, coarse-grained modeling, high-performance parallel computing, and machine learning is a great plus. Excellent communication skill in English is required.
Branch and address
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
7-1-26, Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0047, JAPAN
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, but not beyond the end of March 31, 2025.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, workload at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory, or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 290,200 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher and 417,300 JPY for Research Scientist as of April 1, 2022. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary, including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be more than 350,000 JPY for a Postdoctoral Researcher and 500,000 JPY for a Research Scientist.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days per year depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work-life balance holidays (up to 7 days per year depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
No smoking on site
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Please prepare the following documents in English.
No format specified. Please make sure to include applicant's name, date of birth, nationality, academic background, work history including the applicant's current affiliation, and email address.
List of research achievements
Include not only peer-reviewed papers but also awards and competitive funds received, achievements in research while working in the private sectors. Also include quantitative evaluation indexes such as the Google Scholar citation index as much as possible.
Copies of up to five most important publications (Please mark the papers on the list of publications.)
When the original publications are not in PDF format, scan the papers and save them as PDF documents prior to submission.
- 4. List of external funds acquired, awards received, and other achievements including, contributions to university/institution operations, contribution to society through activities in academic societies, joint research projects, technology transfers, etc.
- 5.Description of previous research, future research plans, and career goals: No format specified, approximately three to four A4 pages in total. It is desirable that a diagram describing the research is provided.
Recommendation letters in English from one or two persons who can evaluate your work
- *One recommendation letter should be written by the applicant's current supervisor. When it is difficult to do so, a recommendation letter written by a third party may be accepted.
- *The letters should be addressed to R-CCS Director. Digital signature image can be embedded in the recommendation letters within the PDF file. Or please specify the referee's contact information (name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address) in the letter.
Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Combine the above documents into a single PDF file and upload them to the following website:
Applications for R-CCS Computational Structural Biology Research Team
The file name of the PDF should contain the job ad number "R-CCS2206, Computational Structural Biology Research Team" and the applicant's name. Please write the name of the position that you apply for in the "Add additional information" box.
After you uploaded the PDF file, please let us (kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file. When you send us an email, please write your name, Job Ad number and the name of the position that you apply for.
If the recommendation letter is directly submitted from the referees, please send it to (kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp) by attaching it to the email. Please write "R-CCS2206 Computational Structural Biology Research Team, [name of the position], [applicant's name] (Recommendation letter)" in the subject line and specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the email.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp.
Note: Submitted documents will not be returned.
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Handling Personal Data
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and interviews will be conducted for selected applicants (2 interviews for Research Scientist position and one interview for Postdoctoral Researcher position.) No inquiries on the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of employment
October 1, 2022, or later, at the earliest opportunity (subject to negotiation)
For inquiries on research conducted by the team, please contact the Team Leader by email:
Computational Structural Biology Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
Email: florence.tama [at] riken.jp
- Updated as of Nov. 9, 2022: "Salary and benefits"
- Updated as of June. 12, 2023: "Work location", "Salary and benefits"