Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctral Researcher (W22109)
The goal of the Emergent Devices Research Team is to pioneer quantum physical properties and functions and using low-dimensional materials, mainly two-dimensional materials, and their nanodevices. In particular, we focus on chalcogenide-based 2D materials and explore their electronic functions through devices such as van der Waals heterostructures, and electric double-layer transistors. We investigate two-dimensional superconductivity, quantum phase control, topological properties, and nonlinear transport phenomena, and create functional materials for highly efficient energy conversion and quantum technologies.
Job title and Job description
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher
- Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
- Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
*Job judgment will be decided and decided based on applicant's ability, aptitude etc.
The candidate will conduct experimental studies on two-dimensional (2D) materials, van der Waals heterostructures, moiré superstructures and their devices, to pioneer the cutting edge of quantum properties and functions. Although our team belongs to the supramolecular chemistry area in CEMS, we are seeking for researchers specializing in condensed matter physics for this position.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in the condensed matter physics, quantummaterials science, or related fields. Or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree before the work start date.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
The following rules do not apply if the appointment is to begin on or after April 1, 2023, in accordance with the open recruitment procedure by RIKEN after October 17, 2022.
"The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 5/10 years from the initial date of hire (or 5/10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date)."
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 5 years of employment for Postdoctoral Researcher and 10 years of employment for Research Scientist.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 5.For Research Scientist: When the Employee's research is scheduled for review in the Employee's 5 years from the original date of hire at CEMS, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 290,200 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher and from 345,600 to 468,200 JPY for Research Scientist as of April 1st 2022. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment for a candidate of Postdoctoral Researcher with 3 years of experience, ability, and achievement after completion of the doctoral course will be approximately 450,000 JPY. That for a candidate of Research Scientist with 5 years of experience, ability, and achievement after completion of the doctoral course will be approximately 480,000 JPY.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *(RIKEN CV) Write the open call ID “W22109”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.2 letters of recommendation (including one from the current supervisor, If available)
- 4.5 set of copies of your major papers
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters combined into a single ZIP file should be uploaded to the following link:
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the subject line " Center for Emergent Matter Science, position name [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: info_iwasa-team [at] ml.riken.jp.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Emergent Device Research Team, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science, Dr. Yoshi Iwasa
Email: info_iwasa-team [at] ml.riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
- Updated as of Nov. 9, 2022: "Salary and benefits"
- Updated as of Nov. 25, 2022: "Deadline"