Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (IMS403-2201)
The laboratory for integrative genomics develops and operates a multi-omics pipeline including genomics, epigenomics, transcriptomics, and proteomics to create new approaches to biomedical science research. We also develops data analysis technologies necessary to understand the multi-modal data generated from the pipeline in an integrated manner. The recent development of single-cell analysis technology has expanded the volume of data to a scale that enables to apply machine learning and deep learning, and we are seeking a researcher who will link single-cell level multi-omics analysis with machine learning and deep learning to pioneer data-driven biomedical science.
Job title and Job description
One opening for Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher
The successful candidate will conduct research and development to pioneer data-driven biomedical science by linking single-cell level multi-omics analysis with machine learning and deep learning.
The difference in positions is as follows:
- *Research Scientist: Carries out research and other work in accordance with laboratory research themes.
- *Postdoctoral Researcher: Carries out research and other work in accordance with laboratory research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
Common to all positions
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in a related field and research experience in bioinformatics and/or machine learning/deep learning. Experience as or equivalent to a university professor will be advantageous.
- Research Scientist
- A doctoral degree awarded at least 3 years ago in a field related to the [Job Description].
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- A doctoral degree awarded less than 3 years ago in a field related to the [Job Description].
RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 230-0045 Japan
Salary and benefits
The following rules do not apply if the appointment is to begin on or after April 1, 2023, in accordance with the open recruitment procedure by RIKEN after October 17, 2022.
"The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 5/10 years from the initial date of hire (or 5/10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date)."
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment. However, for a postdoctoral position, a one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 3 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, workload at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013, for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
- Research Scientist
- For a candidate who finished their PhD approximately 5 years ago and has the appropriate experience, skills and track record, the annual pay at hire (including the Discretionary Work Allowance) will be approximately 5.5 million yen/year.
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- For a candidate who joins RIKEN immediately after finishing their PhD, the annual pay at hire (including the Discretionary Work Allowance) will be approximately 4.3 million yen/year.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
The Yokohama Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Yokohama. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids-yk-hr[at]ml.riken.jp (change [at] to @).
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Prepare the documents below as PDF files and follow the instructions [How to Apply] to submit them :
Note: Incomplete application will not be considered.
- 1.Complete CV or CV with photograph and e-mail address (Please indicate the desired position (e.g. Research Scientist) and the open call ID [IMS403-2201] in the upper right corner of the CV.)
- *Using the RIKEN format above is appreciated.
- 2.List of publications (articles, reviews and books), presentations , etc. in past 5 years.
- 3.Brief description of previous research and achievements, and future research plans (within two A4-size pages).
- 4.Recommendation Letter (1)
- -The signature (or seal) of the person providing the recommendation is required. In the case of scanned or digital signature, please be sure to include contact information.
- -If it is difficult to obtain a recommendation letter from the current supervisor, a recommendation from a third party will be accepted. The letter of recommendation should be addressed to the "Director of the Center for Integrative Medical Sciences."
- -The recommendation must be submitted directly from a referee to the BOX URL stated below.
- 5.PhD/Master degree diploma
- 6.List of competitive external funds obtained (e.g. Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research [Kakenhi]; indicate whether you are the representative researcher or the collaborator)
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters should be converted to PDF and uploaded to the following website after these files are combined into a single ZIP file:
RIKEN/IMS Application Box
The file name of each PDF file : IMS403-2201_TL_Applicant's name_submitted document No.
- When you upload your application documents by a ZIP file via BOX, please make sure to input your contact email address.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the subject line "IMS403-2201_[applicant's name] ". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter. Also, the referees need to input own contact email address when they upload their recommendation letters to the below URL.
RIKEN/IMS Submission Box
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.(face-to-face or remote)
Start of Employment
Earliest date possible (negotiable)
Recruiting staff for RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
Administrative Division, RIKEN Yokohama Branch
Email: IMS-recruit [at] riken.jp (replace "[at]" with "@")
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of Nov. 1, 2022: "Salary and benefits"