Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher (W22148)
We develop quantum electron devices based on manipulation and transfer of quantum degrees of freedom in solids. We employ quantum electron optics, where quantum states of propagating electrons are manipulated, and experiments on transfer and manipulation of novel quantum degrees of freedom in atomic-layer materials. These experiments aim to reveal physics of quantum coherence, quantum correlations, and quantum conversions, as guiding principles for quantum electron devices. We also employ state of the art quantum technologies to solve long-standing problems in condensed matter physics from microscopic points of view.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher 2 positions
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree less than 5 years.
The successful candidates will work on quantum control of electron wave packets propagating through semiconductor quantum circuits. This project is a part of the Moonshot program for “Realization of a fault-tolerant universal quantum computer that will revolutionize economy, industry, and security by 2050”.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree by experimental study in the solid state physics field, or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree by experimental study in the solid state physics field before the work start date. We welcome candidates who have research experience on semiconductor nanostructures, microwave engineering, low temperature physics, etc.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
The following rules do not apply if the appointment is to begin on or after April 1, 2023, in accordance with the open recruitment procedure by RIKEN after October 17, 2022.
"The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 5/10 years from the initial date of hire (or 5/10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date)."
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable, and based on evaluation, up until November 30, 2025.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 290,200 JPY as of April 1st 2022. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be 360,000 JPY or more.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- * (RIKEN CV) Write the open call ID “W22148”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- * (Original CV) Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W22148).
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
(If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- *Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
- 4.3 set of copies of your major papers
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Please make inquiries to the contact address listed below, then send the PDF formatted application by email at the same contact address.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the contact adress.
*If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: michihisa.yamamoto [at] riken.jp.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
Quantum Electron Device Research Team,
RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Email: michihisa.yamamoto [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.