Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist (W22170)
Ultrafast intense laser technology and its application for interaction of strong optical field with matters are studied. Particular interests are placed on nonlinear optical phenomena in the soft x-ray region and generation of ultrashort pulses in the region of attosecond seconds by high-order harmonics.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist: 1 position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree less than 5 years.
Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
Development of few cycle multi-TW mid-infrared laser and its application to strong field physics
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree and is desired to have an experience of experimental study on x-ray imaging/spectroscopy, ultrafast optics/spectroscopy, or intense laser-matter interactions, etc.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
The following rules do not apply if the appointment is to begin on or after April 1, 2023, in accordance with the open recruitment procedure by RIKEN after October 17, 2022.
"The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date)."
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum employment until March 31, 2025.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013, for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date). However, employees who have previously worked at RIKEN may be subject to different rules for the period of fixed-term employment. Please refer to “RIKEN employment duration for fixed-term employees” for more details if necessary.).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 290,200JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher, and 345,600 JPY for Research Scientist, as of April 1st 2022. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment for a candidate just after completion of the doctoral course will be approximately 326,000 JPY or more for Postdoctoral Researcher, and 388,000 JPY or more for Research Scientist.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “W22170”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN ad job number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.Summary of research achievements (A4: 1-2 pages)
- 4.Research Plan or proposal (A4: 1-2 pages)
- 5.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
(If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
- 6.3 set of copies of your major papers
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters combined into a single ZIP file or PDF file should be uploaded to the following link:
For a Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist position, Attosecond Science Research Team, Center for Advanced Photonics, RIKEN
- The uploaded file name should contain your name.
- When you upload the file, your contact email address is required.
- After you uploaded the file, please notify the file name of the uploaded file to the e-mail address at contact information below.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following link with the subject line "Center for Advanced Photonics, position name [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter and include applicant's name in file name.
- When the referees upload the file, contact email address is required.
- After the referees uploaded the file, please notify the file name of the uploaded file to the e-mail address at contact information below.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: the e-mail address at contact information below.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
After April 1, 2023 (Negotiable)
Attosecond Science Research Team, RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics
Team Leader: Dr. Katsumi Midorikawa
Email: kmidori [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
*Please include "Inquiries; W22170Attosecond Science Research Team with your desired position (e.g. Research Scientist)" in the subject line.