Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (W22174)
Ultrafast Coherent Soft X-ray Photonics Research Team
RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics
(Laboratory head: Eiji J. Takahashi)
Our team mainly focuses on the research on high-intensity ultrashort laser sources, and promotes the development of new ultrafast quantum beam and its application research.
For more details, please refer to the following link.
- Ultrafast Coherent Soft X-ray Photonics Research Team | RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics
- RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research, Extreme Laser Science Laboratory
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher 1 position
- Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree less than 5 years.
- Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
*The applicant will be assigned to an appropriate position based on his/her ability, aptitude, etc.
Development of extreme lasers such as single-cycle laser and attosecond pulse generation, and/or experimental research using extreme laser sources
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree (or should be expected to obtain a doctoral degree before the starting date) in a research field related to optical science or atomic and molecular science.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 5 years of employment for Postdoctoral Researcher and 7 years of employment for Research Scientist.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 4.For Research Scientist: When the Employee's research is scheduled for review in the Employee's 5 years from the original date of hire at RAP, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 295,100 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher, and 350,300 JPY for Research Scientist, as of April 1, 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment for a candidate just after completion of the doctoral course will be approximately 331,000 JPY or more for Postdoctoral Researcher, and 393,000 JPY or more for Research Scientist.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *1(RIKEN CV) Write the RIKEN job ad number “W22174”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN ad job number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- *2(Original CV) Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W22174).
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation including one from the current supervisor
Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
(If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
- 4.Brief description of previous research and future research plans (within two A4-size pages)
- 5.Copies of your major papers (within 3 sets)
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters combined into a single ZIP file or PDF file should be uploaded to the following website:
For Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist, Ultrafast Coherent Soft X-ray Photonics Research Team, Center for Advanced Photonics, RIKEN
The uploaded file name should contain your name.
When you upload the file, your contact email address is required.
After you uploaded the file, please notify the file name of the uploaded file to the e-mail address at contact information below.
A recommendation letter must be directly submitted from a referee to the following website with the subject line "Center for Advanced Photonics, position name [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
When the referee uploads the file, contact email address is required.
After the referee uploaded the file, please notify the file name of the uploaded file to the e-mail address at contact information below.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: the e-mail address at contact information below.
Open until the position is filled
We will first select the application documents that have arrived by noon, January 16, 2023 (JST).
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
After April 1, 2023 (Negotiable)
Ultrafast Coherent Soft X-ray Photonics Research Team, RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics
Email: ufsxp-info [at] ml.riken.jp
For inquiries, please contact via email.
When inquiries about research, please contact Dr. Eiji J. Takahashi, team leader, to ejtak [at] riken.jp