Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (W22180)
The Center for Advanced Intelligence Project has been launched with subsidy from Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology-Japan for “Advanced Integrated Intelligence Platform Project (AIP) -Artificial Intelligence/ Big Data/ Internet of Things/ Cybersecurity-”.
The Center conducts fundamental theoretical research and develops an innovative technology, with aiming to advance science and contribute to society or humanity.
This Center is a project with a maximum of 10 years from FY 2016.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Continuous Optimization Team | RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Job title and job descriptions
Job title, available positions
Opening for Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher, one position
- Research Scientist
- Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes.
Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the direction of supervisors.
Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
*The applicant will be assigned to an appropriate position based on his/her ability, aptitude, etc.
Continuous Optimization Team is mainly conducting research with the aim of developing new optimization methods in the fields of mathematical optimization and machine learning. Recent research themes include the development of efficient algorithms to mathematical optimization problems that are difficult to solve, such as large-scale convex optimization problems, non-convex optimization problems composed of non-convex functions, and uncertain optimization problems that include uncertain parameters. Researchers in my team are expected to work on research themes in mathematical optimization and machine learning, while research topics are not restricted to the above ones.
*The Center for Advanced Intelligence Project applies a work system combining work-from-home and work-at-office.
- must have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of employment.
- must have research achievements in mathematical optimization, statistical machine learning, or its related fields, or have a strong motivation to work in these fields.
- must be proactive, cooperative, flexible, and able to respond according to the circumstances.
- must also have good communication skills and be able to cooperate with the relevant personnel within/outside of the laboratory to fulfill the tasks.
Branch and address
RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project, Hongo campus of The University of Tokyo
(7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo, Tokyo)
Salary and benefits
The following rules do not apply if the appointment is to begin on or after April 1, 2023, in accordance with the open recruitment procedure by RIKEN after October 17, 2022.
"The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 5/10 years from the initial date of hire (or 5/10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date)."
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation. The employment duration will not exceed the end of fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment. (Maximum employment duration for a Postdoctoral Researcher is 5 years)
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013, for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.In principle, the duration of the Center is 10 years from FY 2016 to FY 2025. If it is decided that research projects in which they are involved will be discontinued after the duration ends, RIKEN may adjust the maximum period of renewability for their contract.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 345,600 JPY for Research Scientist, 290,200 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher, as of April 1st 2022. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
- Research Scientist
- Monthly salary range, including discretionary work allowance, at the time of employment is 500,000-833,000JPY (annual salary 6,000,000-9,996,000JPY). Decided based on experience, ability, and achievements.
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Monthly salary range, including discretionary work allowance, at the time of employment is 400,000-558,000 JPY(annual salary 4,800,000-6,696,000 JPY). Decided based on experience, ability, and achievements.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024 These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “W22180”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of publications: Circle titles of three major papers in the list
- 3.Photocopies of three major research papers.
- 4.Two different letters of recommendation including one by the current supervisor
- If you cannot obtain a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, the same document issued by a third party is acceptable.
- Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
- Letters of recommendation must be addressed to: Director of RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
- Stamp or signature by referee is necessary.
- Referees must directly send letters of recommendation 1) by postal mail to the address below after sealing, or 2) by email attached with a letter of recommendation with stamp or signature in PDF format, to the address below.
- 5.Research in the past and research plan (3 pages in A4 size)
Your research plan must include outcome expected within a few years from your appointment.
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Applicants must contact the Center for Advanced Intelligence Project before they submit the required documents in PDF format by email to the bellow Email address.
Please use the subject line “W22180_your name_the position that you are applying for” when you apply. (Example “W22180_Hanako Riken_ Postdoctoral Researcher”)
Also, the document names for the letters of recommendation must be “Letter of recommendation_your name.” (Example: Letter of recommendation_Hanako Riken). You need to ask your referees to use this document name for the letter.
Application documents will not be returned.
No information can be released regarding application status or evaluation details prior to, during, or after the evaluation process.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Nihonbashi 1-chome Mitsui Building, 15th floor,
1-4-1 Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0027, Japan
Email: aip-hr [at] ml.riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.