Seeking Postdoctoral Researchers (W22221)
Our research group has been studying quantum information processing, quantum state control, and the quantum physical properties (coherence, spin entanglement, etc.) in semiconductor quantum dots. In order to promote a project to develop fundamental principles and technologies of scalable quantum computing with silicon quantum dots. We are now seeking new postdoctoral researcher with experience in experimental expertise on semiconductor quantum devices, semiconductor quantum information, and so on.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher 3 positions
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research on characterization of silicon qubit devices, multi-qubit system, and high-fidelity quantum operations, scalable quantum computing.
The candidate should or be expected to possess a doctoral degree in experimental research fields of semiconductor physics, quantum transport, electrical engineering, and quantum information.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum March 31, 2026.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 290,200 JPY. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment for a candidate of Postdoctoral Researcher with 3 years of experience, ability, and achievement after completion of the doctoral course will be approximately 500,000 JPY.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *(RIKEN CV) Write the open call ID “W22221”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
(If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
It should be addressed to “Director of Center for Emergent Matter Science”.
- 4.Major papers up to 3 papers.
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to sosato [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to sosato [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
Quantum Functional System Research Group, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Email: sosato [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of May. 23, 2023: "Work location" and "Salary and benefits"