Seeking a Research Scientist (W22233)
Physicochemical Soft Matter Research Team is pursuing state-of-the-art scientific research on physical properties in soft materials, such as liquid crystals, supramolecular assemblies, colloids, etc. Our essential approach is fusion of various experimental approaches using physical evaluation and structural manipulation techniques. We are also seeking new functions of soft materials and/or device principles.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher: 1 position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree less than 5 years.
*Job judgment will be decided and decided based on applicant's ability, aptitude etc.
Physical experiments and analyses for soft materials, such as optical microscopy, electrical measurements, (nonlinear) spectroscopy, rheology, etc. and/or manipulation of nano/microscopic dynamics or topological structures in soft materials.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree. Or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree before the work start date. Experience of post-doctoral research must be less than 5 years.
The candidate is expected to be interested in electrical, optical and/or magnetic properties of soft matter systems such as liquid crystals, and would better be skilled in physical experiment and analysis (optical microscopy, structural analysis, electrical measurement, spectroscopy, etc.) in soft materials.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 5 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 295,100 JPY as of April 1, 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be 360,000 JPY or more.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *(RIKEN CV) Write the open call ID “W22233”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- *(Original CV) Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (W22233).
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- *Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
- 4.5 set of copies of your major papers
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Please make inquiries to the contact address listed below, then send the PDF formatted application by email at the same contact address.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
April 1, 2023 (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Physicochemical Soft Matter Research Team, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Email: fumito.araoka [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of May. 25, 2023: "Work location" and "Salary and benefits"