Seeking a few Research Scientists or Postdoctoral Researchers (W22315)
Space-Time Engineering Research Team
RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics
(Team Leader: Hidetoshi Katori)
Our team develops highly precise and transportable optical lattice clocks capable of long-time operation by introducing advanced techniques in the field of atomic physics and quantum optics; we thus explore applications of "space-time engineering" that fully utilize the novel time resource provided by such clocks. For example, a transportable ultraprecise atomic clock, which may be taken out into the field, will function as a gravitational potential meter. We experimentally investigate the impact of such chronometric leveling and explore the new role of clocks in the future.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher a few positions
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those who has a doctoral degree for less than 5 years.
Research Scientist is defined as those who has a doctoral degree for more than 5 years.
Experimental research on quantum metrology, quantum electronics, and atomic, molecular and optical (AMO) physics related to the optical lattice clocks.
Applicants must have a doctor degree (or must be expected to receive a doctor degree until the employment) with excellent experimental skills in the field above job description.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1. A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 5 years for Postdoctoral Researcher, 7 years for Research Scientist of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 4.For Research Scientist: When the Employee's research is scheduled for review in the Employee's 5years from the original date of hire at RAP, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 295,100 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher, 350,300 JPY for Research Scientist, as of April 1, 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be 330,000 JPY or more for Postdoctoral Researcher and 390,000 JPY or more for Research Scientist.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “W22315”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN ad job number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- *Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W22315).
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable
- 4.3 set of copies of your major papers
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Please make inquiries to the contact address listed below, then send the PDF formatted application by email at the same contact address.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
After May 1, 2023 (Negotiable)
Space-Time Engineering Research Team, RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonicss
Team Leader: Dr. Hidetoshi Katori
Email: hkatori [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of June. 1, 2023: "Work location" and "Salary and benefits"