Seeking a few Research Scientists or Postdoctoral Researchers (W22330)
Quantum Computer Architecture Research Team
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing
(Team Leader: Hayato Goto)
The missions of RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing (RQC) are to deepen our understandings of quantum mechanics and quantum information, develop techniques for quantum control and measurement, build quantum computing hardware and software, and explore novel applications. We promote basic research on quantum information science and contribute to society through quantum technology.
We theoretically study fault-tolerant quantum computation and its physical implementation and algorithm, which leads to total design of quantum computers, namely, quantum computer architecture. We also aim at cooperating systems of quantum and classical computers towards early realization of useful quantum computers.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher a few positions
In general, those who earned a doctoral degree within the past 5 years will be appointed as Postdoctoral Researcher, those who earned a doctoral degree more than 5 years ago will be appointed as Research Scientist.
Theoretical research on fault-tolerant quantum computation and its physical implementation and algorithm
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in a field related to quantum computing in a broad sense, including theoretical physics and information science, or be expected to obtain such a doctoral degree by the date of hire.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation to a maximum March 31, 2026. In the case of an extension of the team establishment period, Research Scientist may be reappointed for a period of up to seven years from the date of hire, and Postdoctoral Researcher and Research Associate may be reappointed for a period of up to five years from the date of hire, but not to exceed the team establishment period.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the 2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 4.When the Employee's research is scheduled to be reviewed in employee's 4 year at RIKEN, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for 6 year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 350,300~444,900 JPY as of April 1st 2023 for Research Scientist, 295,100 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be 480,000 JPY or more for Research Scientist, 360,000 JPY or more for Postdoctoral Researcher.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “W22330”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
(Please provide contact information (name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address) for the referee.)
(If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- 4.Major papers (not more than 3 for Postdoctoral Researcher, 5 for Research Scientist)
- 5.Summary of past research and future research plans (not more than 3 pages for Postdoctoral Researcher, 5 pages for Research Scientist)
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters combined into a PDF file should be uploaded to the following website:
The file name should contain your contact email address.
After you uploaded the file, please let us (hayato.goto [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the file name "Quantum Computer Architecture Research Team [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
After the referees uploaded the recommendation letter, please let us (hayato.goto [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file. If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: hayato.goto [at] riken.jp.
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
April 1, 2023 (Negotiable)
Team Leader Hayato Goto, Quantum Computer Architecture Research Team, RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing (New establishment planned from April 1, 2023)
Email: hayato.goto [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
- Updated as of Apr 6, 2023: "Contact Information" and "How to apply"
- Updated as of June. 1, 2023: "Work location" and "Salary and benefits"