Seeking a few Technical Staff (CPR-HBS2202)
Human biomimetic system RIKEN Hakubi Research Team
RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research
(Laboratory head: Masaya Hagiwara)
The overall objective of my research is the development of in-vitro experimental platform to reconstitute the biological system outside our bodies by controlling cellular micro-environments. Factors to provide cells with spatio-temporal information such as cell distribution, ECM localization, morphogen gradients will be controlled to reconstitute in vivo environments and functional organ architecture.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Technical staff I (discretionary labor system) or II (not discretionary labor system) few positions
Cell culture experiments using primary or iPS cell lines.
Molecular or biochemical analysis (DNA/RNA extraction, qPCR, WB, immunostaining and others).
Preparing reagents, maintaining consumables.
Cleaning and preparing devices.
- Technical staff I must provide technical supports independently to implement the lab missions.
- Technical staff II must provide technical supports under the direction of the supervisor.
The successful candidate should be able to facilitate smooth communication with collaborators both inside and outside of the laboratory, and work collaboratively to carry out their duties. They should have completed vocational school, junior college, or university education, possess specialized knowledge and skills related to the "job description", and have at least 2 years of work experience in basic molecular biology experiments. Experience with RNA-seq is particularly welcome.
Branch and address
RIKEN Kobe Branch
6-7-1 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0047 (Integrated Innovation Building)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of March 31, 2026.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. As of April 1, 2023, the monthly base salary is 206,900 JPY (Technical staff I) and 191,900 JPY (Technical staff II) . The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
- Technical staff I:
- Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
If the candidate has about 2 years of work experience, their monthly salary at the time of employment, including discretionary labor allowance, would be around 234,000 to 280,000 yen. There may be additional pay increases based on experience, ability, and performance.
- Technical staff II:
- Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
If the candidate has about 2 years of work experience, their monthly salary at the time of employment would be around 209,000 to 250,000 yen. There may be additional pay increases based on experience, ability, and performance.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
No smoking on site.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
The Kobe Branch has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids kobe. For details, please send an email to the HR at kobe-kosei [at] riken.jp.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “CPR-HBS2202”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- *Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
- 4.Statement of purpose and brief description of the current research
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters combined into a single ZIP file should be uploaded to the following website:
RIKEN/CPR file upload box
The file name of the ZIP should contain your name.
After you uploaded the ZIP file, please let us (masaya.hagiwara [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the URL above with the file name "Human Biomimetic System RIKEN Hakubi Research Team Technical Staff [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
After the referees uploaded the recommendation letter, please let us (masaya.hagiwara [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: masaya.hagiwara [at] riken.jp
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
After June 1st, 2023 (Negotiable)
RIKEN Cluster of Pioneering Research
Human Biomimetic System RIKEN Hakubi Research Team
Email: masaya.hagiwara [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of May. 26, 2023: "Work location" and "Salary and benefits"