Seeking a few Female Postdoctoral Researchers, Female Research Scientists or Female Senior Research Scientists (W23010)
RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program
(Program Director: Tetsuo Hatsuda)
iTHEMS promotes interdisciplinary collaborations and the creation of new interdisciplinary fields through interactions among researchers in mathematics, theoretical sciences, and computational sciences. iTHEMS aims to nurture and support young scientists eager to cross disciplinary boundaries.
For more information, please refer to the following link:
RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program (iTHEMS) website
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Female Postdoctoral Researcher, Female Research Scientist or Female Senior Research Scientist, a few positions
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Conduct own research project(s) with a host of her choice (an iTHEMS researcher at the rank of Senior Research Scientist or higher).
- Research Scientist
- Conduct and direct their own research project(s), and expand their research focus beyond their discipline through new research collaborations.
- Senior Research Scientist
- Same as Research Scientist, but additionally assist the Program Director and Deputy Program Directors, and lead, supervise and support researchers affiliated with iTHEMS.
iTHEMS is seeking a few Female Postdoctoral Researcher(s), Female Research Scientist(s) or Female Senior Research Scientist(s) to conduct theoretical research in the fields of natural sciences, mathematical sciences, or humanities and social sciences. The scope of responsibilities will be commensurate with the applicant's career level. The applicants will be expected not only to pursue top-level research in their field but also to collaborate actively with an interdisciplinary group of researchers across fields such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, engineering, computational sciences, information sciences, and humanity and social sciences, under the concept of iTHEMS. For more details, send an email to the contact address below.
The candidate should possess or is expected to obtain a doctoral degree by the starting date.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of 3 years (Postdoctoral Researcher), 5 years (Research Scientist) or 7 years (Senior Research Scientist) from the initial date of hire.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be 400,000 JPY or more for Postdoctoral Researcher, 500,000 JPY or more for Research Scientist, and 550,000 JPY or more for Senior Research Scientist.
The employed Postdoctoral Reseacher, Research Scientist and Senior Research Scientist will receive a research grant of 1.5 million JPY per year.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
In compliance with Article 8 of the Equal Employment Opportunity Law (Special Provisions of Measures Pertaining to Women Workers), this type of recruitment is carried out as a measure to attain adequate levels of female representation.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.A cover letter explaining your motivations to apply for this position. If there are special circumstances you would like the committee to consider, you may include them here.
- 2.Curriculum Vitae (CV)*
- *In the notes section of your CV, include the job position number (e.g. W23010) next to the title of the job position. You may also include your research IDs (ORCID, Google Scholar, etc.).
- 3.List of publications (including pre-prints)
- 4.Research statement (summary of current and past research relevant to this position; 2 pages max)
- 5.Research proposal (describe your research objectives over the time-scale of the position [3-7 years]; 3 pages max)
- 6.Interdisciplinary statement (discuss your views and interest on interdisciplinarity, and how you see yourself interacting with iTHEMS members from other fields; 1 page max)
- 7.Contact information of two persons willing to provide a reference.
- 8.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Application documents should be uploaded through Academic Jobs Online.
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program (iTHEMS)
For inquiry, send an email to ithems_app [at] ml.riken.jp with Subj: iTHEMS female PD/RS/SRS (W23010).
Updated as of May. 26, 2023: "Work location" and "Salary and benefits"