Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (W23019)
This team aims to develop a robot that can interact with humans as humans do in daily life by measuring human behaviors during the dialogue and constructing a deep generative model of the interaction behaviors.
Job title and job descriptions
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist 1 or few positions for (1)~(3) below.
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of less than 5 years.
Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or more
- (1): A study on modeling human behavior and its application to robot control
Job description: Participation in the development of data-driven robots in the team. Currently, we are conducting research on measuring human behavior, deep generative models, and robot motion generation. The mission of this position is to apply machine learning techniques to develop a motion generation system operating in a daily environment.
- (2): Development of robots that operate in everyday spaces
Participation in the development of robots that operate in everyday environments, including interaction with humans. Working on the development of everyday robots that require the integration of various recognition and control functions. Implementing and developing platforms using various devices and frameworks such as ROS.
- (3): Development of an avatar operation system
Participation in the development of a semi-autonomous cybernetic avatar in a Moonshot Project (Avatar symbiotic society). Developing a system that enables the use of avatars without performing complex operations by using autonomous systems based on human behavior knowledge to substitute some operations.
Common for (1)(2)(3) above:
We are seeking applicants who hold a PhD related to the job responsibilities described above and have experience in system development using programming languages such as C++, C#, Python, and others.
- Especially for (1):
Having knowledge in machine learning and are proficient in using deep learning libraries such as PyTorch.
- Especially for (2):
Having experience using ROS and possess knowledge in mechatronics.
- Especially for (3):
Having experience in developing systems using computer networks.
Branch and address
RIKEN, Keihanna Campus (Kansai Science City)
2-2-2 Hikaridai Seika-cho, Sorakugun, Kyoto 619-0288, Japan,
Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of March 31, 2025.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is
- Postdoctoral Researcher grade 5 in FY2023;
- 295,100 JPY
- Research Scientist grade 4 in FY2023;
The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be
- Postdoctoral Researcher:
- 331,685 JPY or more
- Research Scientist:
- 393,725 JPY or more
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *RIKEN CV: Write the RIKEN job ad number “W23019”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- *Original CV: Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W23019).
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
- 3.List of achievement (without research achievement) if any.
- 4.Description of your work / research experience, ambition in the job, and PR. (within 2 sheets)
- 5.Copies of representative review or article (within 3)
- 6.A letter of recommendation (from the current supervisor)
- (Please include the referee’s name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address in the recommendation letter.)
- (Please address the recommendation letter to Dr. Michihiko Minoh, Director of RIKEN Information R&D and Strategy Headquarters)
- (If the current supervisor’s recommendation is unavailable, a recommendation from a third party will be accepted.)
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters should be uploaded to the following website:
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the file name "Behavior Learning Research Team, GRP researcher position [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
If you will not receive a confirmation email within 7 days after submission, please contact: isr_jinji [at] ml.riken.jp.
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview (possibly be web) for selected applicants
Start of employment
June 1, 2023 or later
Information Research Promotion Office,
RIKEN Information R&D and Strategy Headquarters,
Email: isr_jinji [at] ml.riken.jp
- Updated as of May 1, 2023: "Work location"
- Updated as of May 11, 2023: "Work location"