Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (W23031)
Computational brain dynamics team
Goal-Oriented Technology Research Group
RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
(Laboratory head: Okito Yamashita)
The Center for Advanced Intelligence Project has been launched with subsidy from Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology-Japan for “Advanced Integrated Intelligence Platform Project (AIP) -Artificial Intelligence/ Big Data/ Internet of Things/ Cybersecurity-”.
The Center conducts fundamental theoretical research and develops an innovative technology, with aiming to advance science and contribute to society or humanity.
This Center is a project with a maximum of 10 years from FY 2016.
The Computational Brain Dynamics Team strives to create analysis techniques for processing large amounts of neuroimaging data and develop brain dynamics modeling methods. Their ultimate goal is to create groundbreaking diagnostic and therapeutic approaches for mental disorders. To learn more, please refer to the introductory video available on the following website.
- Computational brain dynamics team | RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
- Computational brain dynamics team
Job title and job descriptions
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher : one position
- Research Scientist
- Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes.
Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the direction of supervisors.
Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Development of Biomarkers for Mental Disorders Based on Brain Imaging Data
In order to develop innovative diagnostic and therapeutic technologies for mental disorders, we are developing analysis methods for a large size of neuroimaging data and brain dynamics modeling methods. Currently we are participating in the Japanese national project "Brain-mind beyond project" supported by AMED (Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development) and collaborating with medical doctors and researchers from various fields to develop psychiatry biomarkers using a large size of fMRI data and machine learning methods.
This position is open to a research scientist or postdoctoral researcher in charge of developing new algorithm or new model to search for innovative biomarkers for psychiatric disorders in collaboration with our research team members, machine learning experts in the AIP center, and experts from medical institutions.
*The Center for Advanced Intelligence Project applies a work system combining work-from-home and work-at-office.
- must have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of employment in machine learning, computer science, statistics, or a related field.
- Knowledge and experience in machine learning and statistical modeling.
- Experience in analyzing biological data is preferred.
- must be proactive, cooperative, flexible, and able to respond according to the circumstances.
- must also have good communication skills and be able to cooperate with the relevant personnel within/outside of the laboratory to fulfill the tasks.
Branch and address
RIKEN Keihanna Campus (Seika) /Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International
(2-2-2, Hikaridai, Seika-cho, Soraku-gun, Kyoto)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment. (Maximum employment duration for a Postdoctoral Researcher is 5 years)
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.In principle, the duration of the Center is 10 years from FY 2016 to FY 2025. If it is decided that research projects in which they are involved will be discontinued after the duration ends, RIKEN may adjust the maximum period of renewability for their contract.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 350,300JPY for Research Scientist, 295,100 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher, as of April 1 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
Research Scientist: Monthly salary range, including discretionary work allowance, at the time of employment is 500,000-833,000 yen (annual salary 6,000,000-9,996,000 yen). Decided based on experience, ability, and achievements.
Postdoctoral Researcher: Monthly salary range, including discretionary work allowance, at the time of employment is 400,000-558,000 yen (annual salary 4,800,000-6,696,000 yen). Decided based on experience, ability, and achievements.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024. These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “W23031”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of publications: Circle titles of three major papers in the list
- 3.Photocopies of three major research papers.
- 4.Two different letters of recommendation including one by the current supervisor
- If you cannot obtain a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, the same document issued by a third party is acceptable.
- Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
- Letters of recommendation must be addressed to: Director of RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
- Stamp or signature by referee is necessary.
- Referees must directly send letters of recommendation 1) by postal mail to the address below after sealing, or 2) by email attached with a letter of recommendation with stamp or signature in PDF format, to the address below.
- 5.Research in the past and research plan (3 pages in A4 size)
Your research plan must include outcome expected within a few years from your appointment.
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Applicants must contact the Center for Advanced Intelligence Project before they submit the required documents in PDF format by email to the bellow Email address.
Please use the subject line “W23031_your name_the position” that you are applying for when you apply. (Example “W23031_Hanako Riken_Postdoctoral Researcher”)
Also, the document names for the letters of recommendation must be “Letter of recommendation_your name.” (Example: Letter of recommendation_Hanako Riken). You need to ask your referees to use this document name for the letter.
Application documents will not be returned.
No information can be released regarding application status or evaluation details prior to, during, or after the evaluation process.
Open until the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of employment
October 1, 2023
RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Nihonbashi 1-chome Mitsui Building, 15th floor,
1-4-1 Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0027, Japan
Email: aip-hr [at] ml.riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.