Seeking two Research Scientists or Postdoctoral Researchers (BDR-23-015)
The Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (BDR) views the functions of molecules, cells, and organs that support all life stages of organisms as a dynamic system, and aims to elucidate developmental, growth and aging phenomena as well as apply their findings to develop regenerative medicine and diagnostics, thereby contributing to the extension of healthy life expectancies
The Laboratory for Lung Development and Regeneration is recruiting research employees to carry out a new theme. The research overview of the laboratory is shown below.
The laboratory studying developmental biology and regenerative mechanism of the pulmonary organ. We also interested in creating lung organoids from pluripotent stem cells and tissue stem cells using knowledge of development. We are now seeking a researcher or postdoctoral fellow to elucidate lung development and regeneration as well as respiratory diseases using live cell imaging, single-cell sequencing, lung organoid culture technology, and induction of lung tissue from ES/iPS cells.
Job title and Job description
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher: 2 positions
Position-specific tasks are as follows:
- Research Scientist
- Carry out research and other work in accordance with research themes of the laboratory.
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Carry out research and other work in accordance with laboratory research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
We are recruiting researchers to study one of the following topics, and present research achievements in academic conferences.
(1) Research on lung development, (2) Research on lung injury and regeneration, (3) Research on induction of respiratory tissue from ES/iPS cells.
The successful candidate is also expected to design and manage his/her research experiments; write research papers; and communicate and collaborate with researchers in and out of the laboratory.
- Common to all positions
- A person who is able to dedicate themselves to the job by communicating, coordinating and collaborating smoothly with people in and out of the laboratory.
- Research Scientist
- A PhD holder in the area related to the Job description.
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- A PhD holder who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years in the area related to the Job description.
Branch and address
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (Kobe Campus-East-West)
2-2-3 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0047 (Developmental Biology Buildings)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.(Research Scientist) A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- 2.(Postdoctoral Researcher) A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of 5 years since the initial date of hire.
- 3.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, workload at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. As of April 1, 2023, the monthly base salary is 350,300 JPY for Research Scientist, and 295,100 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be 394,000 JPY or more for Research Scientist and 332,000 JPY or more for Postdoctoral Researcher.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
These positions fall under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
No smoking on site.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
The Kobe Branch has an on-site daycare, Po-I Kids Kobe. For details, please send an email to the HR at kobe-kosei [at] riken.jp.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before the fiscal year 2003, and eligible for applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV
- *Email address is required.
- *Application Number [BDR-23-015] and position to apply (e.g.: Research Scientist) should be clearly written at top-right in the margin.
- *Format is free. Or the format attached is available.
- 2.List of research achievement and publications (Please categorize : Original article, Review article, Book, Conference presentation, Others)
- 3.Summary of past research and the result (about 2 pages of A4 paper)
- 4.Plans for the future research once appointed(about 1 page of A4 paper)
- 5.Acquisition of competitive external funds (e.g. Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research) (Please write: Representative, Contribution)
- 6.one letter of recommendation (including one from the current supervisor, If available)
- The recommendation letters should be addressed to “Center Director, Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research”
- Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number and email address)
- If it is difficult to obtain the recommendation letters from immediate manager or current supervisor, please obtain a letter from a third party.
- 7.Certificate of degree awarded, Certificate of graduation from the last school, diploma(copy) or graduation certificate from the last school (copy)
- 8.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters combined into a single PDF or ZIP file should be uploaded to the following website:
- The uploaded file name should contain the job ad number “BDR-23-015” and the applicant’s name.
- When you upload the file, your contact email address is required.
- After you uploaded the file, please let us (kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the file name "Laboratory for Lung Development and Regeneration [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
- After the referees uploaded the recommendation letter, please let us (kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
- If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp.
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
We will examine application documents as they are accepted. Application will be closed as soon as the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interview. After documents screening, only successful applicants will be invited for interview. No inquiries on the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of Employment
As soon as possible (Negotiable)
For inquiries on this open position, please contact below by email:
Human Resources Section, Kobe Administrative Division, Kobe Branch, RIKEN
kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact mitsuru.morimoto[at]riken.jp (Laboratory for Lung Development and Regeneration , Dr. Mitsuru Morimoto)