Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist (W23070)
Our team is working on the real-space observation of electron structures or topological electron-spin textures and their dynamics in strong-correlation systems by means of atomic-resolution electron microscopy. We use various microscopy techniques, such as the electron tomography, in-situ imaging, differential phase contrast microscopy, electron energy-loss spectroscopy, and energy dispersive spectroscopy to explore the electron structures and their dynamical phase transition or phase separation. We also use these powerful tools to quantitatively characterize the nanometric magnetic and electric fields in topological matters to exploit emergent phenomena.
Job title and job descriptions
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist: 1 position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
Microfabrication by using Focused Ion Beam (FIB) systems, S(TEM) performance, Tomographic S(TEM), in-situ observations, Data mining, Python programing
- Research Scientist
- Carry out research and other work following the research themes of the team.
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Carry out research and other work following laboratory research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
- The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in electron microscopy, or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree in the field of electron microscopy before the work start date.
- The candidate must be able to communicate and work efficiently with collaborators both inside and outside the team to promote their research.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1. A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 3 years of employment for postdoctoral researcher, 5 years for a research scientist.However, for Research Scientists, if the center director approves as an exception, the contract may be renewed.
- 2. RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3. When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 295,100 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher, and in the range of 350,300～472,100 JPY for Research Scientist, as of April 1st 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance for a postdoctoral researcher will be approximately 39.5 million JPY. The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment for a candidate with 5 years of experience, ability, and achievement after completion of the doctoral course will be approximately 45 million JPY.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the open call ID “W23070”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- 4.5 set of copies of your major papers
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Please submit the documents as PDF files to the address in Contact Information below.
- Write "Application Documents; (W23070) Electronic States Microscopy Research Team (Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher) " in the subject line.
- *Note: If the submission requirements are unmet, your application will not be received.
- Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to the contact address.
- *Please name it "Recommendation letters of Electronic States Microscopy Research Team (Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher) applicant name" and specify the referee's contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address) in the body of the email.
- *Subject of the email should be "Recommendation letters; (W23070) Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher applicant name".
- *If the submission requirements are unmet, your application will not be received.
- *If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: yu_x [at] riken.jp.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
Electronic States Microscopy Research Team, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: yu_x [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of Jun. 11, 2023: "Salary and benefits"