Seeking a Team Leader (W23100)
The Center for Emergent Matter Science (Center Director: Dr. Yoshinori Tokura) aims at exploring new directions in condensed matter science and at contributing, through fundamental research, towards the global challenge of realizing an environmentally benign, sustainable society. To be more specific, our mission is to solve energy issues by integrating the following three Divisions: (I) strong correlation physics which explores the principles of emergent phenomena in many-body systems, (II) supramolecular chemistry of functional nano-scale elements based on molecular design, and (III) quantum information electronics that advances the achievements of fundamental quantum science into applications.
This time, in order to strengthen the research fields related to (I) and (III) above, and to further promote collaboration among the three fields, we are recruiting one Team Leader in the Quantum Information Electronics Division. While presiding over an independent team, the team leader is expected to collaborate with research groups and teams in the areas of strong correlation physics and quantum information electronics, and to develop of breakthrough technologies such as quantized anomalous Hall effect under zero magnetic field, quantum pumps, and quantum conduction by Majorana fermions for the applications such as resistive standards without magnetic field and non-dissipative quantum circuits.
In addition to CEMS, the team leader can access to various resources and student support programs within RIKEN.
Job title and Job description
Team Leader: 1 position
We accept applications for a Team Leader in the abovementioned “Research Field”. However, if there are no qualified applicants, the position may not be filled.
Applicants should have an excellent ability and are expected to produce prominent achievements in the field of applications of topological quantum effects in electronics. There is no nationality restriction for the applicants.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako Branch (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a range 10 years of employment. However, if the center director approves as an exception, the contract may be renewed.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
RIKEN has indefinite-term positions, which are subject to the mandatory retirement age of 60.
There is a subsequent re-employment program allowing hiring until age of 65.
A successful applicant in this recruitment is also eligible to apply for any open positions of indefinite-term employment.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 708,000 JPY as of April 1, 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary (base salary＋variable salary) at the time of employment for a candidate with 15 years of experience, ability, and achievement after completion of the doctoral course will be approximately 920,000 JPY.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50) in principle. However, employee may change starting and ending times at their own discretion if it does not interfere with work performance.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- (1)Complete CV or CV (with photograph and email address)
- *Write the open call ID “W23100”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- (2)List of research achievements and publications (Mark 5 major publications with a circle 〇) and Author ID (ResearcherID) number if available
- (3)PDF files of your major 5 publications listed in (2)
- (4)Outline of research achievements so far and research plan when hired (up to 5 sheets of A4 paper in total)
- (5)Two letters of recommendation, including the current supervisor
- (Contact information (name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address) for the person you are recommending)
- (If it is difficult to obtain a letter of recommendation from your superbvisor, a letter of recommendation from a third party)
- (Letters should be addressed to "Dr. Makoto Gonokami, President of RIKEN")
- (6)Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters combined into a single ZIP file should be uploaded to the following website:
The uploaded file name should contain your name.
After you uploaded the ZIP file, please let us (cems-jinji [at] ml.riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the subject line " Center for Emergent Matter Science, Team leader [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
After the referees uploaded the recommendation letter , please let us (cems-jinji [at] ml.riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: cems-jinji [at] ml.riken.jp.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Application must arrive by Friday, September 29, 2023 (Japan Standard Time)
Handling Personal Data
Application screening based on the documents and interview for the selected applicants
Start of Employment
February 1, 2024 (Negotiable)
Dr. Naoto Nagaosa, Human Resources Deputy Director, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Email: nagaosa [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.