Seeking a Technical Staff I or II (W23224)
We work on the development of biologically inspired catalysts as well as the application of biological systems towards energy conversion and material production. Specifically, we aim to understand nature’s ingenuity towards multielectron transfer catalysis, electron/proton transport, metabolic regulation, responsiveness to external stimuli, and energy management in deep sea environments to develop novel materials and systems necessary to effectively manage renewable energy sources.
For more information, please refer to the following website:
Biofunctional Catalyst Research Team's Website.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Technical staff I (discretionary labor system) or technical staff Ⅱ (non discretionary labor system), 1 position
*The applicant will be assigned to an appropriate position based on his/her ability, aptitude, etc.
The technical staff will support experiments related to catalytic chemistry and analytical chemistry (preparation of catalysts, conducting and supporting experiments for catalytic characterization, data analysis, and data management, etc.) The successful candidate is also expected to take care of safety management related to chemical experiments and laboratory safety, such as liquid waste disposal and reagent management.
- Technical Staff I
- Provides technical support to the laboratory at their own discretion.
- Technical Staff II
- Provides technical support to the laboratory.
- Experience in catalytic chemistry, analytical chemistry, or electrochemistry.
- The candidate should be able to communicate smoothly with collaborators both inside and outside the research team, and work in cooperation and collaboration with them.
- The candidate should have a university degree or equivalent.
- The ability to communicate in English is desirable.
RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science (Wako Campus)
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako City, Saitama 351-0198, Japan
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.In principle, the center is set to continue its research to the end of the Mid- to Long-term Plan (7 years from April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2025).
However, if it is decided that the research project with which the Employee is involved will not be continued, the above provision on continuation of the “research center, laboratory or project” applies and there will be no re-employment for FY 2025 (from April 1, 2025)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 239,500 JPY for Technical Staff I, and 206,900 JPY for Technical Staff II, as of April 1, 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
In addition to the salary mentioned above, discretionary work (only for Technical Staff I), commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
- Technical Staff I:
- The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be 300,000 JPY or more.
- Technical Staff II:
- The monthly salary at the time of employment will be 240,000 JPY or more.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Technical staffⅠposition falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Technical staffⅡfalls under the non-discretionary work system; Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50). Supervisors may instruct employees to work outside of these hours.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024. These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV
- *Please write Open-call ID [W23224] and the position you are applying for.
- *Using the RIKEN format above is appreciated.
- 2.List of acquired skills
- 3.Reason for application and future plan
- 4.Certificate of graduation of the most recent education, or a copy of Diploma
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
- *Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email after document screening.
- *Applicants who pass the screening process will be asked to submit a letter of recommendation. We will ask for one letter of recommendation from the current supervisor. If it is difficult to obtain a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, a letter of recommendation from a third party may be accepted. Please contact us for details when you receive an email from us.
How to apply
Please combine the above documents into one PDF file and upload to the following link:
The file name of the PDF should contain your name.
After uploading the PDF file, please let us (nakamuralab-recruit [at] ml.riken.jp) know the name of the file.
If the submission requirements are not met, your application will not be received.
Open until the position is filled.
*Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants (face-to-face or remote).
Start of Employment
As early as possible (Negotiable)
RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science
Biofunctional Catalyst Research Team
Email: nakamuralab-recruit [at] ml.riken.jp