RIKEN Center for Computational Science System Software Research Team
Team Leader: Yutaka Ishikawa (D.Eng.)
Our research team is responsible for developing an advanced system software stack. We are also conducting research and development for the supercomputer Fugaku and for future systems, taking into consideration continuity of the user environment and usability. The software stack under development is made up of the following:
- OS kernel
We are developing a lightweight multi-kernel, called McKernel, for many-core type parallel computers. Applications running on Linux run on Mckernel without recompilation. McKernel currently runs on Intel 's latest Xeon and Xeon Phi processors, and is being implemented for Fugaku.
- A New Process/Thread Execution Model
We are developing a new process/thread execution model, called PiP, in which processes share the same address space. PiP is implemented at user-level without any OS kernel modifications, and thus it is highly portable.
- MPI communication library
We are implementing the MPICH communication library, an implementation of the MPI communication library developed mainly by Argonne National Laboratories, for the supercomputer Fugaku. In particular, we are developing a mechanism that efficiently utilizes the Fugaku communication hardware.
- File I / O library
We are developing a DTF file I/O library, realizing a real-time job-to-job file I/O library.
Main Research Fields
- Operating System and Runtime
- Communication Library
- File I/O Library
- 1.Balazs Gerofi, Aram Santogidis, Dominique Martinet, Yutaka Ishikawa.:
"PicoDriver: Fast-path Device Drivers for Multi-kernel Operating Systems"
ACM International Symposium on High-Performance Parallel and Distributed Computing (HPDC), (2018).
- 2.Hannes Weisbach, Balazs Gerofi, Brian Kocoloski, Hermann Härtig, Yutaka Ishikawa.:
"Hardware Performance Variation: A Comparative Study Using Lightweight Kernels"
International Conference on High Performance Computing (ISC), (2018).
- 3.Yuichi Tsujita, Atsushi Hori, Toyohisa Kameyama and Yutaka Ishikawa.:
"Topology-Aware Data Aggregation for High Performance Collective MPI-IO on a Multi-Core Cluster System"
The 4th International Symposium on Computing and Networking (CANDAR2016), (Outstanding Paper), (2016).
- 4.Atsushi Hori, Kazumi Yoshinaga, Thomas Herault, Aurelien Bouteiller, George Bosilca and Yutaka Ishikawa.:
"Sliding Substitution of Failed Nodes"
Proceedings of the 22nd European MPI Users' Group Meeting, (2015).
- 5.Yuichi Tsujita, Atsushi Hori, and Yutaka Ishikawa.:
"Striping Layout Aware Data Aggregation for High Performance I/O on a Lustre File System"
Proceedings of ISC 2015, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 9137, pp. 282-290, Springer, (2015).
- 6.Min Si, Antonio J Peña, Jeff Hammond, Pavan Balaji, Masamichi Takagi and Yutaka Ishikawa.:
"Casper: An Asynchronous Progress Model for MPI RMA on Many-Core Architectures"
Proceedings of 2015 IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), pages 665-676, (2015).
- 7.Taku Shimosawa, Balazs Gerofi, Masamichi Takagi, Gou Nakamura,Tomoki Shirasawa, Yuji Saeki, Masaaki Shimizu, Atsushi Hori and Yutaka Ishikawa.:
"Interface for Heterogeneous Kernels: A Framework to Enable Hybrid OS Designs targeting High Performance Computing on Manycore Architectures"
Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing, (2014).
- 8.Balazs Gerofi, Akio Shimada, Atsushi Hori, Takagi Masamichi and Yutaka Ishikawa.:
"CMCP: A Novel Page Replacement Policy for System Level Hierarchical Memory Management on Many-cores"
HPDC '14 Proceedings of the 23rd international symposium on High-performance parallel and distributed computing, pp. 73-84, (2014). (Best Paper Award)
- 9.Min Si, Antonio Peña, Pavan Balaji, Masamichi Takagi and Yutaka Ishikawa.:
"MT-MPI: Multithreaded MPI for Many-core Environments"
ICS '14 Proceedings of the 28th ACM international conference on Supercomputing, pp. 125-134, (2014).
- 10.Masayuki Hatanaka, Atsushi Hori and Yutaka Ishikawa.:
"Optimization of MPI Persistent Communications"
EuroMPI '13 Proceedings of the 20th European MPI Users' Group Meeting pp. 79-84, (2013).
- Yutaka Ishikawa
- Team Leader
- Atsushi Hori
- Senior Scientist
- Yoshiyuki Morie
- Research Scientist
- Kazuki Yoshizoe
- Research Scientist
- Masayuki Hatanaka
- Research Associate
- Toyohisa Kameyama
- Technical Staff I
Email: yutaka.ishikawa [at] riken.jp