RIKEN is Japan's largest comprehensive research institution renowned for high-quality research in a diverse range of scientific disciplines. Founded in 1917 as a private research foundation in Tokyo, RIKEN has grown rapidly in size and scope, today encompassing a network of world-class research centers and institutes across Japan.
The pages below offer an overview of RIKEN's mission, its management structure and history, as well as information on RIKEN's campuses and offices, its budget and personnel and its governance.
- An introduction to RIKEN's mission, goals, and outlook, including a message from the president.
- Information on visitor-oriented attractions, events and facilities.
- Details on RIKEN's president, executive directors and organizational structure.
- Read RIKEN's story and find out more about important historical figures.
- Assessment reports of past and present RIKEN centers.
- How to support RIKEN's diverse research activities.