1. Home
  2. Careers
  3. For Newcomers

MTAs and safety training

For people planning to do research, there are a few items that you need to be careful about. One is, if you are coming from another institute, to make sure that any materials you bring are properly covered by a Material Transfer Agreement. You must also make sure to get proper safety training for any facilities that you will be using.

MTA (Material Transfer Agreement)

An MTA is a contract that governs the transfer of tangible research materials between two organizations when the recipient intends to use the materials for his or her own research purposes, and no research collaboration between the scientists is planned. All tangible items brought from the outside of RIKEN or provided to outside institutions require an MTA. If you are bringing materials to RIKEN, please contact the RIKEN laboratory that you work with to complete the necessary paperwork.

Safety training

It is also crucial that you make sure to get proper training for all facilities you will use and for the types of experiments that you will be conducting. Training is available at the various campuses, and please contact your laboratory for specifics.