RIKEN offers individual and group tours of its campuses (Wako, Yokohama, Kobe, Harima and Tsukuba). No English tours are being offered currently, however, so if you wish to schedule a tour, please provide your own interpreter unless you are able to understand Japanese. On the Wako campus, tours are irregularly offered several times a year. Prior application (also in Japanese) is required.
One day a year, each RIKEN campus is open to all visitors on Open Day. Events and lectures are held that relate to the research being carried out on the campus. On this day some of our laboratories and advanced facilities are open to visitors for viewing. (Most events and lectures are in Japanese, though researchers at many labs can offer explanations in English.)
The RIKEN Gallery is closed due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) problem. Sorry for the inconvenience.
The RIKEN Gallery gives an overview of the whole of RIKEN, including its history, current research, and past research achievements.
Place: 1F, Exhibition Gallery, 2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama
Hours: Weekdays 10:00-16:00
- * Closed on RIKEN Foundation Day and year-end/new year holidays
Procedures for visitors
- 1.If you would like to visit, please fill out the online application form one week in advance. We cannot guarantee that you will be able to visit on your desired date. You will receive an email or phone call from the section in charge telling you the date of your visit.
- 2.On the day of your visit, please come to the West Gate. You will receive a gallery visitor’s card from the Guard Station. You can then proceed directly to the gallery.
- 3.Please note that prior registration is needed.
- 1.Please do not come by private vehicle.
- 2.Please do not bring pets. Guide dogs may enter the gallery.
- 3.The visit is self-guided.
- 4.Eating and drinking are prohibited in the gallery.
- 5.RIKEN Merchandise are not on sale.
SPring-8, located on RIKEN’s Harima campus, is a large synchrotron radiation facility which delivers the most powerful synchrotron radiation currently available in the world. Also in the same location is the SPring-8 Angstrom Compact free electron Laser (SACLA).
For details on making arrangements to visit these facilities (by appointment only), or to visit the Public Relations Center and Exhibition Center, which are open daily, see SPring-8 site tour webpage.