Seeking Technical Staff I positions (C21-0201)
We manage two world-leading facilities: a synchrotron radiation facility (SPring-8) and a free-electron laser facility (SACLA). We are responsible for developing and improving the fundamental infrastructure for both facilities.
Job title and Job description
Technical Staff I, multiple positions
- Development and operation of the IT-infrastructure for user experiments; network management for R&D infrastructure; and system management and installation of computer systems, including high-performance computing for X-ray experimental research.
- Hardware design of the mechanisms and development of the assembly methods for the precise X-ray detectors utilized for advanced SR experiments.
- Maintenance and Planning for Large-Scale Facility (Ex. Machine, Utilities)
- New or recent graduates. We are seeking highly motivated individuals with good communication skills.
- A welcome qualified architect at the first class specialized facility design and/or maintenance is encouraged to apply.
Branch and address
RIKEN SPring-8 Center
(1-1-1 Kouto, Sayo-cho, Sayo-gun, Hyogo 679-5148)
Salary and benefits
- 1. A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- 2. RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
However, employees who have previously worked at RIKEN may be subject to different rules on period of fixed-term employment. Please refer “RIKEN employment duration for fixed-term employees” for more details if necessary.).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV (with photo and email address)
- 2.Outline of previous research and aspiration for research after arrival (A4, two pages)
- 3.Letter of recommendation (including one from the current supervisor, If available)
- *These letters of recommendation should be signed or sealed by the recommender.
- *The letters should be addressed to "Tetsuya Ishikawa, Director of RIKEN SPring-8 Center".
- *If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted
- 4.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Until the position is filled (The screening process will start as the applications are received.)
Handling Personal Data
All private data sent to RIKEN in application for employment is handled in strict confidentiality, and such data is not utilized for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party. Application documents will not be returned.
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.
Start of Employment
Contact Information / Send application to
Send application materials (PDF format) to Email: rscsc [at] spring8.or.jp
The Email title should be: (C21-0201) Application for Technical Staff I positions on the RIKEN SPring-8 Center Engineering Team
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact rscsc [at] spring8.or.jp (RSC Director, Dr. Tetsuya Ishikawa)