Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher position (C21-0203)
The focus of the laboratory is the dynamics of materials on meV energy scales (THz frequencies) and atomic length scales, as measured using inelastic x-ray scattering. We have recently completed commissioning a uniquely powerful beamline for inelastic x-ray scattering (BL43LXU) that provides unprecedented capability to measure both atomic dynamics and electronic excitations with high resolution. Present areas of investigation include atomic dynamics of correlated materials, superconductors, and liquids, as well as linewidths and thermal effects in simpler materials, and elastic properties in extreme conditions. We also continue development of instrumentation, especially x-ray optics, and are now working on a new type of spectrometer for both RIXS and NRIXS in the 5 to 15 keV region of the spectrum.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist
Possible directions for work include investigation of atomic dynamics in complex materials, liquid dynamics, and thermal effects in simpler materials. In addition, it is expected the successful candidate will participate in development of the present facilities, and/or contribute to the construction and testing of the new RIXS/NRIXS spectrometer. Extensive off-line facilities are available, in addition to the beamlines of a premier operating synchrotron (SPring-8) and free-electron laser (SACLA).
Applicants must have a doctoral degree before starting employment.
Outstanding candidates from any experimental field will be considered, but applicants with previous experience in x-ray scattering or related spectroscopic methods (INS, Raman, IR) are especially encouraged to apply.
Interest and experience in development of new x-ray techniques and instrumentation will be regarded positively.
Branch and address
RIKEN SPring-8 Center (1-1-1 Kouto, Sayo-cho, Sayo-gun, Hyogo 679-5148, Japan)
Salary and benefits
- 1. A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- 2. RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3. The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Please send the following documents to the e-mail address given below:
- 1.Complete CV (with photo and email address)
- 2.List of research achievement and publications (reviewed papers, presentations, etc.)
- 3.Outline of previous research and aspiration for research after arrival (A4, two pages)
- 4.Letter of recommendation (including one from the current supervisor, If available)
- *These letters of recommendation should be signed or sealed by the recommender.
- *The letters should be addressed to "Tetsuya Ishikawa, Director of RIKEN SPring-8 Center".
- *If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Until the position is filled (The screening process will start as the applications are received.)
Handling Personal Data
All private data sent to RIKEN in application for employment is handled in strict confidentiality, and such data is not utilized for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party. Application documents will not be returned.
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.
Start of Employment
Contact Information / Send application to
Send application materials (PDF format) to Email: baron [at] spring8.or.jp
The Email title should be: (C21-0203) Application for Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher positions on the Materials Dynamics Group
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact Email: baron [at] spring8.or.jp
Group Director, Dr. Alfred Baron