Seeking a Technical Staff I or II (W21031)
Riken Fundamental Symmetries Laboratory is leading the BASE collaboration of CERN, in Geneva Switzerland. We operate experiments that compare the fundamental properties of protons/antiprotons and hydrogen/antihydrogen with highest possible precision. The laboratory is also involved in Axion research.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Technical Staff I or II: 1 position
- Contributions to the operation and maintenance of the BASE antiproton experiment at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Development of ultra-sensitive radiofrequency electronics.
- Development of an upgraded Penning trap layout for sub-thermal cooling of antiprotons.
- New or recent graduates. We are seeking highly motivated individuals with good communication skills.
- Experience with development of experiment control code (Lab View / Python)
- Experience with low-noise electronics
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198) The candidate will be sent on a continuous business trip (80% of working time defined by the contract) to the antimatter facility AD at CERN, Geneva, Switzerland.
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, within a period of 7 years from date of hire.
However, employment may be terminated at 5 years from the date of hire, depending on the results of evaluation conducted during the fourth year of the employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
- Technical Staf I
- This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
- Technical Staff II
- Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50). Supervisors may instruct employees to work outside of these hours.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV (with photo and email address)
*Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W21031).
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- 4.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to Stefan.ulmer [at] cern.ch
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to Stefan.ulmer [at] cern.ch)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
August 1st, 2021 (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research
Fundamental Symmetries Laboratory
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: Stefan.ulmer [at] cern.ch
For inquiries, please send an email.
- Updated as of Nov. 17, 2022: "Salary and benefits"
- Updated as of June. 9, 2023: "Work location" and "Salary and benefits"