Seeking Postdoctoral Researchers (W23125)
Strong-Correlation Quantum Structure Research Group
RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
(Group Director: Taka-hisa Arima)
Strongly correlated electron systems may exhibit various interesting emergent phenomena such as superconductivity, colossal magneto-resistance, and giant magneto-electric effects. These emergent phenomena are directly associated with the spatial distributions as well as the spatial and temporal fluctuations of atoms, electron density, and spin density. We are going to perform crystallographic and magnetic structure analyses, spectroscopies, and imaging by using synchrotron x-rays and neutrons to reveal them.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher 1 position
We are seeking highly motivated condensed-matter scientists in the field of strongly correlated electron systems. The successful candidates will carry out original research relating to one or more of the following research topics by utilizing synchrotron x-rays or neutrons.
- 1.Nontrivial magnetic orders originating from the breaking of space inversion symmetry or the geometrical frustration.
- 2.Orbital orders and excitations.
- 3.Unconventional electronic states in 5d transition-metal compounds.
- 4.Domain structures in ordered states.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree and have experience of postdoctoral research of less than 5 years, or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree before the work start date. Experience with synchrotron x-ray or neutron measurements is not required.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 5 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 295,100 JPY as of April 1, 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment for a candidate employed just after completion of the doctoral course will be approximately 350 thousand JPY.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *(RIKEN CV) Write the open call ID “W23125”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- 4.Up to five major papers
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letter combined into a single ZIP file should be uploaded to the following website:
The uploaded file name should contain your name.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the file name "[applicant’s name] Recommendation letter".
Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: takahisa.arima [at] riken.jp.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
On or after January 1, 2024 (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Strong-Correlation Quantum Structure Research Group, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Email: takahisa.arima [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.