Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Associate (IMS101-2301)
The Laboratory for Transcriptome Technology develops technologies to comprehensively identify non-coding RNAs, screen and analyze their functions. For example, we develop transcriptome technologies like CAGE to detect promoters and enhancers, methods to map full-length RNAs with single molecules sequencers, as well as RADICL-seq and similar technologies, to map RNA bound to chromatin. Using these technologies, we explore regulatory interactions of ncRNAs within cells, with particular emphasis on the broad interaction of non-coding RNA with chromatin, retrotransposition and ncRNAs having a role in regulation of protein synthesis. We are interested in both creating large functional genomics maps, as well as deciphering function and mechanisms of action of lncRNAs.
For more information, please refer to:
Laboratory for Transcriptome Technology
Job title and Job description
One Opening for Research Scientist, Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Associate
The successful candidate will work on RNA biology problems related to the interest of the laboratory on a project called “characterization of function/structure relationship of functional non-coding RNAs and their interactomes”. The candidate will use advanced genomics technologies to collect functional data on the “interactome” of lncRNAs, including technologies to probe interactions with other RNAs, with protein, with chromatin, as well as technologies to probe the structure of RNAs. This will be complemented by functional assays in various cell culture. The overarching purpose if to identify RNAs that can modify cellular phenotypes, and possibly, become future therapeutic molecules.
The difference in positions is as follows:
- *Research Scientist: Carries out research and other work in accordance with laboratory research themes.
- *Postdoctoral Researcher: Carries out research and other work in accordance with laboratory research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
- *Research Associate: Carries out research and other work in accordance with laboratory research themes under the direction of supervisors.
Common to all positions
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in a related field and very strong research experience in RNA biology and transcriptome field. Additionally, experience in broader aspects of genomics, epigenome, cell biology and computational biology will be a plus.
The selected candidate must fulfill the following criteria:
- -Should have experience and knowledge of molecular biology, RNA biology and related technologies, and technologies for the analysis of transcriptomes.
- -Broad genomics experimental skills and computational analysis are further preferred.
- -Must be a team player who has proactive and constructive attitude.
- -Must have excellent communication skills and be able to engage in research in a coordinated manner to positively interact with members of different nationalities.
- -Comfortable with English as a professional language for scientific discussion and publication (Japanese language skills are not required).
- -Ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and to work independently.
- -Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to lead and gain the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavour.
- -Ability to build trust through operating with transparency and creating an open and positive environment.
- Research Scientist:
- A doctoral degree awarded at least 3 years ago in a field related to the [Job Description].
- Postdoctoral Researcher:
- A doctoral degree awarded less than 3 years ago in a field related to the [Job Description].
- Research Associate:
- A master’s degree in a field related to [Job Description] or abilities recognized as equivalent to a master’s degree. Also willing to proactively pursue a doctoral degree in the future.
RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 230-0045 Japan
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment. For Postdoctoral Researcher, a one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 3 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, workload at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.In principle, the Center's operation period will end as of March 31, 2025. If the project is discontinued after March 31, 2025, the period of your contract may be subject to change at the time of its renewal.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
- Research Scientist:
- For a candidate who finished their PhD approximately 5 years ago and has the appropriate experience, skills and track record, the annual pay at hire (including the Discretionary Work Allowance) will be approximately 5.5 million yen/year.
- Postdoctoral Researcher:
- For a candidate who joins RIKEN immediately after finishing their PhD, the annual pay at hire (including the Discretionary Work Allowance) will be approximately 4.3 million yen/year.
- Research Associate:
- For a candidate who joins RIKEN immediately after finishing their master’s, the annual pay at hire (including the Discretionary Work Allowance) will be approximately 3.2 million yen/year.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
These positions fall under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
The Yokohama Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Yokohama. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids-yk-hr [at] ml.riken.jp
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Prepare the documents below as PDF files and follow the instructions in [How to Apply] to submit them. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- 1.CV or CV with photograph and Email address (Also indicate the desired position (e.g. Research Scientist) and the open call ID [IMS101-2301] in the upper right corner of the CV.)
- *Using the RIKEN format above is appreciated.
- 2.List of publications (articles, reviews and books), presentations, etc. in the past 5 years.
- 3.Brief description of previous research and achievements, and future research plans (maximum of two A4-size pages).
- 4.Recommendation Letter (1)
- -The signature (or seal) of the person providing the recommendation is required. In the case of a scanned or digital signature or a recommendation sent by email, the contact information for that person must be included.
- -If it is difficult to obtain a recommendation letter from the current supervisor, a recommendation from a third party will be accepted. The letter of recommendation should be addressed to the “Director of the Center for Integrative Medical Sciences.”
- -The person providing the recommendation is required to upload his /her the letter to the URL “IMS Submission Box” stated below.
- 5.PhD /master’s degree diploma
- 6.List of competitive external funds obtained (e.g., Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research [Kakenhi]; indicate whether you are the representative researcher or the collaborator)
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to Apply
The above documents except the recommendation letter should be converted to PDF and uploaded to the following website after these files are combined into a single ZIP file:
- Zip file name: IMS101-2301_Position Title_Applicant’s name
- The file name of each PDF file: IMS101-2301_Position Title_Applicant’s name_submitted document No.
When you upload your application documents by a ZIP file via BOX, please make sure to input your contact email address.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the subject line "IMS101-2301_[applicant’s name] ". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter. Also, the referees need to input own contact email address when they upload their recommendation letters to the below link. Please request your referees to confirm their recommendation letters are addressed to “Director of the Center for Integrative Medical Sciences” before uploading.
The file name of each PDF file: IMS101-2301_Applicant’s name
- Note1: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
- Note2: Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted via email after document screening.
Until the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.(Face-to-Face or Remote)
Start of Employment
Earliest date possible (negotiable)
Recruiting staff for RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
Administrative Division, RIKEN Yokohama Branch
Email: IMS-recruit [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of Dec 13, 2023: "Job title and Job description", "Qualification", "Salary and benefits" and "Application and required documents"