Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (W23166)
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing (RQC) aims to study quantum information theory, develop techniques for quantum control and measurement, build quantum computing hardware and software, and explore novel quantum technologies. We promote the progress of quantum information science and contribute to society through the application of quantum technologies.
Our team focuses on quantum software engineering science, which is necessary for the realization of quantum computers. In the near future, we will develop basic technologies to exploit the performance of quantum computers on a scale that is now being realized or will be realized in the next few years, as well as applications of them to fundamental physics, quantum chemistry, and quantum machine learning. In the long term, we will work on quantum computer architectures, quantum error correction, and optimization of quantum circuits to realize large scale fault-tolerant quantum computers. We are also interested in interdisciplinary fields between quantum information science and fundamental physics, quantum chemistry, machine learning, and high-performance computing.
Job title and Job description
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher: one position available
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
Theoretical and numerical research on quantum algorithms (including applications for quantum many body system, quantum chemistry, quantum machine learning), quantum error correction and fault-tolerant quantum computing, and quantum computer architecture.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in the field of quantum information science and related fields (e.g., computer science, fundamental physics, machine learning, and quantum chemistry).
Applications from a wide range of research fields are welcome, but the candidate should be able to pursue research in the field of quantum computing based on your expertise.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable from the date of hire up to March 31, 2025, depending on evaluation. In the case of an extension of the laboratory termination date, Research Scientist may be reappointed for a period of up to seven years from the date of hire, and Postdoctoral Researcher may be reappointed for a period of up to five years from the date of hire , but not to exceed the team establishment period.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, workload at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory, or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.When RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing is scheduled to undergo its final review When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the 2025 year that wouldextend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 295,100JPY for Post-doctoral Researcher, 350,300～444,900JPY for Researcher Scientist. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be more than 368,000 JPY for Post-doctoral Researcher, 470,000JPY for Researcher Scientist.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
- *Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
- *The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “W23166”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
- 3.letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
- 4.Major papers (not more than 3 for Postdoctoral Researcher, 5 for Research Scientist)
- 5.Summary of past research and future research plans (not more than 3 pages for Postdoctoral Researcher, 5 pages for Research Scientist)
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letter(s) combined into a single ZIP file should be uploaded to the following link:
The file name of the ZIP should contain your contact email address.
After you uploaded the ZIP file, please let us (yumi.nakashima [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the subject line "Recommendation letter for RQC QITR Research scientist (or Postdoctoral Researcher) [applicant’s name] ". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
After the referees uploaded the recommendation letter, please let us (yumi.nakashima [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: yumi.nakashima [at] riken.jp.
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Quantum Computing Theory Research Team,
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing
Email: yumi.nakashima [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.