Seeking a Research Scientist or a Postdoctoral Researcher (W23212)
Research Field and Overview
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing (RQC) aims to study quantum information theory, develop techniques for quantum control and measurement, build quantum computing hardware and software, and explore novel quantum technologies. We promote the progress of quantum information science and contribute to society through the application of quantum technologies.
Our main interest is to propose quantum algorithms such as quantum-classical hybrid algorithms for simulating quantum many-body systems. We also analyze quantum dynamics of quantum computing based on quantum information. For these purposes, we develop quantum simulations for quantum computing using classical computers. We are also interested in quantum-classical hybrid systems for future high performance computing.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist 1 position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research Scientist/Contract Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
*The applicant will be assigned to an appropriate position based on his/her ability, aptitude, etc.
A successful candidate is expected to develop quantum algorithms primarily targeting quantum many-body systems and demonstrate these algorithms using quantum computers. It is also expected to develop simulations for quantum computing using classical computers.
We are seeking individuals who have obtained a Ph.D or are expected to obtain a Ph.D by the time of their appointment in the fields of condensed matter physics, particle and nuclear physics, quantum chemistry, quantum information, or applied mathematics. Experience in developing quantum algorithms is preferred.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako Campus (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable from the date of hire up to March 31, 2025, depending on evaluation. In the case of an extension of the laboratory termination date, Research Scientist may be reappointed for a period of up to seven years from the date of hire, and Postdoctoral Researcher may be reappointed for a period of up to five years from the date of hire , but not to exceed the team establishment period.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 300,000 JPY for postdoctoral researchers and 355,000 JPY for research scientists as of April 1st 2024. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be 360,000 JPY or more for postdoctoral researchers and 410,000 JPY or more for research scientists.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “W23212”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of achievements
- 3.Statement of research achievement and plan (up to three pages for Postdoctoral Researcher, up to five pages for Research Scientist)
- 4.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- *Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
- 5.Copies of selected publications (up to three for Postdoctoral Researcher, up to five for Research Scientist)
- 6.RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to yunoki [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be sent by email directly from the reference to yunoki [at]riken.jp)
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
April 1, 2024 (Negotiable)
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing
Quantum Computational Science Research Team
Email: yunoki [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.