RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences Laboratory for Tissue Dynamics
Team Leader: Takaharu Okada (Ph.D.)
The goal of the laboratory is to understand the mechanisms regulating cell migration and interactions in the tissues that shape adaptive immune responses. For this purpose, we use real time imaging, in particular two-photon microscopy, to analyze cellular migration and interactions in the tissues. By applying the imaging strategy to relevant mouse models, we aim to reveal immune cell dynamics that are critical for generation of immunological memory and tolerance, two important features of adaptive immunity.
Main Research Fields
- Biological Sciences
Related Research Fields
- Medicine, Dentistry & Pharmacy
- Autoimmune disease
- Fluorescence imaging
- Peripheral nervous system
Papers with an asterisk(*) are based on research conducted outside of RIKEN.
- 1.Okada T., Takahashi S., Ishida A., and Ishigame H.:
"In vivo multiphoton imaging of immune cell dynamics."
Pflugers Arch – Eur J Physiol. 68, 1793-1801. (2016)
- 2.Shinnakasu R., Inoue T., Kometani K., Moriyama S., Adachi Y., Nakayama M., Takahashi Y., Fukuyama H., Okada T., and Kurosaki T.:
"Regulated selection of germinal-center cells into the memory B cell compartment."
Nat Immunol. 17, 861-869. (2016)
- 3.Kitano M., Yamazaki C., Takumi A., Ikeno T., Hemmi H., Takahashi N., Shimizu K., Fraser S.E., Hoshino K., Kaisho T., and Okada T.:
"Imaging of the cross-presenting dendritic cell subsets in the skin-draining lymph node."
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 13, 1044-1049. (2016)
- 4.Moriyama S., Takahashi N., Green J.A., Hori S., Kubo M., Cyster J.G., Okada T.
"Sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor 2 is critical for follicular helper T cell retention in germinal centers."
J Exp Med. 211, 297-305. (2014)
- 5.Okada T., Moriyama S., and Kitano M.:
"Differentiation of germinal center B cells and follicular helper T cells as viewed by tracking Bcl6 expression dynamics."
Immunol Rev. 247: 120-132 (2012)
- 6.Hirata E., Yukinaga H., Kamioka Y., Arakawa Y., Miyamoto S., Okada T., Sahai E., and Matsuda M.:
"In vivo fluorescence resonance energy transfer imaging reveals differential activation of Rho-family GTPases in glioblastoma cell invasion."
J Cell Sci. 125: 858-868 (2012)
- 7.Kitano M., and Okada T.:
"Four-dimensional tracking of lymphocyte migration and interactions in lymph nodes by two-photon microscopy."
Methods Enzymol. 506: 437-454 (2012)
- 8.Kitano M., Moriyama S., Ando Y., Hikida M., Mori Y., Kurosaki T., and Okada T.:
"Bcl6 protein expression shapes pre-germinal center B cell dynamics and follicular helper T cell heterogeneity."
Immunity. 34: 961-72 (2011)
- 9.*Allen, C.D., Okada, T., Tang, H.L., and Cyster, J.G.:
"Imaging of germinal center selection events during affinity maturation."
Science, 315, 528-531, (2007)
- 10.*Okada, T., Miller, M.J., Parker, I., Krummel, M.L., Neighbors, M., Hartley, S.B., O’Garra, A., Cahalan, M.D., and Cyster, J.G.:
"Antigen-engaged B cells undergo chemotaxis toward the T zone and form motile conjugates with helper T cells."
PLoS Biology 3: 1047-1061(e150) (2005)
- Takaharu Okada
- Team Leader
- Hidehiro Fukuyama
- Deputy Team Leader
- Harumichi Ishigame
- Research Scientist
- Noriko Takahashi
- Technical Staff I
- Akiko Takumi
- Technical Staff I
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku,
Yokohama City, Kanagawa,