Seeking a Research Scientist or a Postdoctoral Researcher (R-CCS2106)
Discrete Event Simulation Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
(Team Leader: Nobuyasu ITO)
RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS), led by Center Director Satoshi Matsuoka, is an international research center in high performance computing and computational science in Japan. Our objectives are to investigate "the Science of (high performance) computing, by computing, and for computing", to research and develop our technologies (R-CCS technology) and software (R-CCS software), which we consider our core competence, in order to produce world-leading scientific and engineering results for use in Japan as well as globally.
Also, R-CCS started operating Japan's national flagship supercomputer Fugaku, as a shared national facility to support a wide range of research activities, and started its shared use since March, 2021.
The Discrete Event Simulation Research Team ("DESRT") performs cutting-edge research and development on discrete-event simulations and their wide applications, especially, simulations of social phenomena using agent-based models, and artificial-intelligence technologies towards so-called the "Society 5.0" and beyond.
Job title and job descriptions
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher: 1 position
Conduct research and development of agent-based models for social phenomena on massive parallel HPC systems and their applications together with applications of artificial intelligence under the guidance of PI Dr. Nobuyasu Ito. The main target is to develop models of social and economic phenomena and simulate them with supercomputer, using GPS data from mobile phones and firm- and business establishment-level trade data. Application of quantum information processing is also in scope.
If the candidate has the following experience, that will be considered.
- Developed social/economic models based on available real data
- Execute agent-based simulators, especially on supercomputer
- Analyzed large scale data
- Carried out economics, network science, or statistical physics related research
Applicants must have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of appointment. In general, those who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years will be appointed as Postdoctoral Researchers, and those who earned a doctorate more than 5 years ago will be appointed as Research Scientists. Experience of parallel programming, simulations and data-mining of social and economics phenomena, and artificial intelligence technologies is expected. Knowledge on quantum information processing is also expected.
Branch and address
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
7-1-26, Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0047, JAPAN
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.(Research Scientist) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to seven years since the initial date of hire.
- 2.(Postdoctoral Researcher) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to five years since the initial date of hire.
- 3.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Applications are accepted by email only. However, when the application documents are too large to submit by email, it is recommended to employ file transfer services on the internet. Before submitting the applications, make sure the documents are encrypted and send us the password information separately. Upon receipt, we will check whether all the required documents are included and send an acknowledgement of receipt. If you do not receive the acknowledgement email, please contact us at the email address in “Contact information” below.
Please prepare the following documents in English.
No format specified. Please make sure to include applicant's name, date of birth, nationality, academic background, work history including the applicant's current affiliation, and email address.
- 2.List of research achievements
Include not only peer-reviewed papers but also awards and competitive funds received, achievements in research while working in the private sectors. Also include quantitative evaluation indexes such as the Google Scholar citation index as much as possible.
- 3.Copies of up to five most important publications (Please mark the papers on the list of publications.)
When the original publications are not in PDF format, scan the papers and save them as PDF documents prior to submission.
- 4.Description of previous research, future research plans, and career goals: No format specified, approximately three to four A4 pages in total. It is desirable that a diagram describing the research is provided.
- 5.Recommendation letter(s) (in English) from one or two individual(s) with their signatures One recommendation letter should be written by the applicant’s current supervisor. When it is difficult to do so, a recommendation letter written by a third party may be accepted. The letter should be addressed to RIKEN R-CCS Director. Digital signature image should be embedded in the recommendation letters within the PDF file.
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Handling Personal Data
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and interviews will be conducted for selected applicants (2 interviews for Research Scientist position and one interview for Postdoctoral Researcher position.) No inquiries on the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of employment
At the earliest opportunity (negotiable)
Application files will not be returned.
- Updated as of Nov. 16, 2022: "Salary and benefits"
- Updated as of May. 19, 2023: "Work location" and "Salary and benefits"
Contact Information / Send application to
Combine all the application documents into a single PDF document and submit to the email address below.
Email: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
Please use the subject line "[R-CCS2106] R-CCS Discrete-Event Simulation Research Team – Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher" when applying.
For inquiries on research conducted by the team, please contact the Team Leader by email:
Discrete-Event Simulation Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
Email: nobuyasu.ito [at] riken.jp