Seeking a few Research Scientists or Postdoctoral Researchers (R-CCS2115)
RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS), led by Center Director Satoshi Matsuoka, is an international research center in high performance computing and computational science in Japan. Our objectives are to investigate “the Science of (high performance) computing, by computing, and for computing”, to research and develop our technologies (R-CCS technology) and software (R-CCS software), which we consider our core competence, in order to produce world-leading scientific and engineering results for use in Japan as well as globally.
Also, R-CCS started operating Japan’s national flagship supercomputer Fugaku, as a shared national facility to support a wide range of research activities since 2021.
The primary target of our project is to develop our-own theoretical and computational molecular theory in order to perform first-principles calculations for the large-size and complicated molecular systems including nano- and bio-materials. The project involves the novel development of theory, algorithm, and software, which will be realized through collaborative use of the supercomputer Fugaku across the fields of computational science and computer science. By using our-own developing theory and software, in addition, we will realize a variety of untraversed computational applications for theoretical molecular designs as well as theoretical clarifications of chemical reactions and properties.
Job title and Job description
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher: A few positions
- 1.Development of quantum chemistry software "NTChem"
- Distributed parallelization to effectively utilize massively parallel computing environments
- Programs for electron correlation calculations, relativistic calculations, periodic calculations, etc.
- 2.Design of new materials using first-principles simulations and materials informatics
- Design of new materials such as perovskite solar cells, artificial photocatalysts, secondary battery materials, electronic functional polymers, bio-degradable polymers, etc.
- 3.Development of new quantum chemistry theories and methodologies that can benefit from the performance of massively parallel computers
- Large-scale molecular computation methods by combination of quantum chemistry theory in solid-state physics and condensed matter physics theory
- New electron-correlation methods applicable to large-sized molecules
- Quantum chemical calculation methods for chemical reaction calculations and property calculations with spin-orbit effects
We are looking for researchers who are motivated to conduct research that integrates theory development, program development, simulation, and informatics, and to develop a new interdisciplinary field that integrates computational science and computer science.
Applicants must have a doctoral degree or expect to receive a doctoral degree before the date of appointment. In general, those who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years will be appointed as Postdoctoral Researchers, and those who earned a doctorate more than 5 years ago will be appointed as Research Scientists.
Background(s): Quantum chemistry, Theoretical chemistry, Condensed matter physics, Machine learning, Materials informatics
Branch and address
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
7-1-26, Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0047, JAPAN
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.(Research Scientist) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to seven years since the initial date of hire.
- 2.(Postdoctoral Researcher) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to five years since the initial date of hire.
- 3.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes. Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days per year depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work-life balance holidays (up to 7 days per year depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
No smoking on site.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Please prepare the following documents in English.
No format specified. Please make sure to include applicant’s name, date of birth, nationality, academic background, work history including the applicant’s current affiliation, and email address.
- 2List of research achievements
Include not only peer-reviewed papers but also awards and competitive funds received, achievements in research while working in the private sectors. Also include quantitative evaluation indexes such as the Google Scholar citation index as much as possible.
- 3Copies of up to five most important publications (Please mark the papers on the list of publications.)
When the original publications are not in PDF format, scan the papers and save them as PDF documents prior to submission.
- 4List of external funds acquired, awards received, and other achievements including, contributions to university/institution operations, contribution to society through activities in academic societies, joint research projects, technology transfers, etc.
- 5Description of previous research, future research plans, and career goals: No format specified, approximately three to four A4 pages in total. It is desirable that a diagram describing the research is provided.
- 6Recommendation letters in English from one or two persons who can evaluate your work
- *One recommendation letter should be written by the applicant’s current supervisor. When it is difficult to do so, a recommendation letter written by a third party may be accepted.
- *If the applicant currently works for RIKEN, recommendation letter(s) should be written by person(s)) outside of RIKEN.
- *The letters should be addressed to RIKEN R-CCS Director. Digital signature image can be embedded in the recommendation letters within the PDF file. Or please specify the referee’s contact information (name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address) in the letter.
- 7Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Combine the above documents into a single PDF file and upload them to the following website:
Applications for R-CCS Computational Molecular Science Research Team
The file name of the PDF should contain the job ad number “R-CCS2115, Computational Molecular Science Research Team” and the applicant’s name. Please write the name of the position that you apply for in the “Add additional information” box.
After you uploaded the PDF file, please let us (kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file. When you send us an email, please write your name, Job Ad number and the name of the position that you apply for.
If the recommendation letter is directly submitted from the referees, please send it to (kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp) by attaching it to the email. Please write "R-CCS Computational Molecular Science Research Team, [name of the position], [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)" in the subject line and specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the email.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp.
Note: Submitted documents will not be returned.
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Handling Personal Data
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and interviews will be conducted for selected applicants (2 interviews for Research Scientist position and one interview for Postdoctoral Researcher position.) No inquiries on the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of Employment
At the earliest opportunity (subject to negotiation)
Application files will not be returned.
- Updated as of Nov. 14, 2022: "Salary and benefits"
- Updated as of May. 22, 2023: "Work location" and "Salary and benefits"
For inquiries on research conducted by the team, please contact the Team Leader by email:
Computational Molecular Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
Email: nakajima [at] riken.jp