Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (R-CCS2202)
High Performance Artificial Intelligence Systems Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
(Laboratory head: Mohamed Wahib)
RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS), led by Center Director Satoshi Matsuoka, is an international research center in high performance computing and computational science in Japan. Our objectives are to investigate “the Science of (high performance) computing, by computing, and for computing”, to research and develop our technologies (R-CCS technology) and software (R-CCS software), which we consider our core competence, in order to produce world-leading scientific and engineering results for use in Japan as well as globally.
Also, R-CCS started operating Japan’s national flagship supercomputer Fugaku, as a shared national facility to support a wide range of research activities since 2021.
The High Performance Artificial Intelligence Systems Research Team is an R-CCS laboratory: Conducts research on high performance systems – software – algorithms to speed up AI applications based on large-scale and massively parallel systems in the context of “HPC for AI”, using cutting-edge supercomputers, such as Fugaku, and advanced high-performance computing infrastructures. Explores elemental technologies for “AI for HPC”: AI optimizes various functions of HPC systems, such as resource scheduling, electrical power control, program execution, etc. For these, aims to “mutually improve AI/machine learning and high-performance computing”, in collaboration with other research institutions working on HPC and AI in Japan.
Job title and job descriptions
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher: one position
Conduct research on next-generation AI systems by focusing on the following topics:
- 1.Acceleration of HPC algorithms using machine learning
- 2.Auto generation of code for HPC algorithms using empirical models based on machine learning.
- 3.Extreme speedup and scalability of deep learning:
Achieve extreme scalability of deep learning in large-scale supercomputing environments including Fugaku, extending the latest algorithms and frameworks for deep learning.
- 4.Performance analysis of deep learning:
Accelerate computational kernels for AI over the state-of-the-art hardware architectures by analyzing algorithms for deep learning and other machine learning/AI, measuring their performance and constructing their performance models.
- 5.Acceleration of modern AI algorithms:
Accelerate advanced AI algorithms, such as ultra-deep neural networks and high-resolution GAN over images, those that require massive computational resources, using extreme-scale deep learning systems.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of appointment. In general, those who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years will be appointed as Postdoctoral Researcher, and those who earned a doctorate more than 5 years ago will be appointed as Research Scientist. Exceptions may apply to those with an outstanding record of achievements. Individuals with research experience in the areas described in “Job description” are strongly preferred. The applicant must be socially cooperative, able to conduct research independently, and have good communication skills.
Branch and address
Tokyo Office, RIKEN Center for Computational Science
1-4-1, Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 103-0027, JAPAN
Note: Based on a consultation with the Team Leader, working at R-CCS Kobe campus may be negotiable if it offers advantages in terms of work performance.
Salary and benefits
The following rules do not apply if the appointment is to begin on or after April 1, 2023, in accordance with the open recruitment procedure by RIKEN after October 17, 2022.
"The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 5/10 years from the initial date of hire (or 5/10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date)."
- 1.(Postdoctoral Researcher) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to five years since the initial date of hire.
- 2.(Research Scientist) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to seven years since the initial date of hire.
- 3.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, workload at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 4.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013, for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 290,200 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher and 417,300 JPY for Research Scientist as of April 1, 2022. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be more than 350,000 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher and 500,000 JPY for Research Scientist.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
No format specified. Please make sure to include applicant’s name, date of birth, nationality, academic background, work history including the applicant’s current affiliation, and email address.
- 2. List of research achievements
Include not only peer-reviewed papers but also awards and competitive funds received, achievements in research while working in the private sectors. Also include quantitative evaluation indexes such as the Google Scholar citation index as much as possible.
- 3.Copies of up to five most important publications (Please mark the papers on the list of publications.)
When the original publications are not in PDF format, scan the papers and save them as PDF documents prior to submission.
- 4.List of external funds acquired, awards received, and other achievements including, contributions to university/institution operations, contribution to society through activities in academic societies, joint research projects, technology transfers, etc.
- 5.Description of previous research, future research plans, and career goals: No format specified, approximately three to four A4 pages in total. It is desirable that a diagram describing the research is provided.
- 6.Recommendation letters in English from one or two persons who can evaluate your work
- *One recommendation letter should be written by the applicant’s current supervisor. When it is difficult to do so, a recommendation letter written by a third party may be accepted.
- *The letters should be addressed to R-CCS Director. Digital signature image can be embedded in the recommendation letters within the PDF file. Or please specify the referee’s contact information (name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address) in the letter.
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Combine the above documents into a single PDF file and upload them to the following website:
Application for High Performance Artificial Intelligence Systems Research Team
The file name of the PDF should contain the job ad number “R-CCS2202, HPAIS Research Team” and the applicant’s name. Please write the name of the position that you apply for in the “Add additional information” box.
After you uploaded the PDF file, please let us (kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file. When you send us an email, please write your name, Job Ad number and the name of the position that you apply for.
If the recommendation letter is directly submitted from the referees, please send it to (kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp) by attaching it to the email. Please write “R-CCS2202, HPAIS Research Team, [name of the position], [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)” in the subject line and specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the email.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp.
Note: Submitted documents will not be returned.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and interviews will be conducted for selected applicants (2 interviews for Research Scientist position and one interview for Postdoctoral Researcher position.) No inquiries on the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of Employment
At the earliest opportunity (subject to negotiation)
For inquiries on research conducted by the team, please contact the Team Leader by email:
High Performance Artificial Intelligence Systems Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS)
Email: mohamed.attia [at] riken.jp
- Updated as of Jun 10, 2022: "Salary and benefits", "Required documents" and "Start of Employment"
- Updated as of Nov. 3, 2022: "Salary and benefits"