Seeking Technical Scientist or Technical Staff I (IMS106-2202)
Laboratory for Large-Scale Biomedical Data Technology
RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
(Team leader: Takeya Kasukawa)
Today, life scientists need to find and investigate various achievements and findings from published journals and databases, and they collect and annotate additional information for their further studies each by each. This requires additional data management tasks in their research activities. Our mission is developing technologies for achieving efficient genomics data management as follows.
- (1)Research and development of element technologies for systems to manage large-scale genomics data in proper, efficient, and sustainable manners.
- (2)Constructing reference data set to compare various large-scale genomics data.
Along with these developments, we are going to set up computational infrastructure that is adequate. These activities could contribute to address increasingly larger amount of next generation sequencing data produced inside and outside the division, in order to utilize such knowledge to further applied researches including drug discoveries and medical practices.
See the details on following Web page: Laboratory for Large-Scale Biomedical data Technology
Job title and Job description
Few openings for Technical Scientist or Technical Staff I
The successful candidate will engage in the following research project "Database Integration Coordination Program" funded by JST-NBDC:
- R&D subject
- We will develop a new database of cis-regulatory elements that can retrieve activities in various cell types and conditions and the relationship to genomic variations and alterations granted by JST/NBDC. The period of the project starts from April in 2022 to March 2027 (at longest).
- We will develop an integrated database of cis-regulatory elements that can provide integrative and comprehensive views of them. In practice, we will comprehensively collect cis-regulatory element regions including enhancers and promoters, and add activity information by cell types and conditions. Moreover, we will associate neighboring genomic variations and alterations around them Finally, we integrate them to the information of genome-protein interactions, open chromatin and methylome. We aim to build a platform not only for the evaluation of personal and disease genomes in the genome science, but also for the effective reuse of the wide-spreading single-cell gene expression technologies.
The difference in positions is as follows:
- Technical Scientist
- Develops and enhances the needed technologies for laboratory research themes under the direction of supervisors.
- Technical Staff I
- Provides technical support for team research themes.
Common to all positions
- (1)It is required that the person can smoothly communicate and cooperate with other collaborators in and out of our laboratory.
- (2)The person should have experiences and knowledge of data processing of life science data, especially omics data or have strong motivation to achieve them.
- (3)The person should be able to summarize information about samples and experiments by computers utilizing the knowledge in life science or have strong motivation to achieve them.
- (4)It is better to have knowledge and experiences of data engineering and database technologies for life science data.
Holder of BA degree or above with substantial expertise and skills relevant to the fields indicated under [Job description]. Or equivalent abilities and more than five years experience in relevant fields.
Graduate of a professional training school, junior college, university or graduate school with expertise and skills relevant to a field indicated under [Job description]. Or equivalent abilities and more than two years experiences in relevant fields.
RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 230-0045, Japan
Salary and benefits
The following rules do not apply if the appointment is to begin on or after April 1, 2023, in accordance with the open recruitment procedure by RIKEN after October 17, 2022.
"The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 5/10 years from the initial date of hire (or 5/10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date)."
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of March 31, 2027, the end date of the project..
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
However, Technical Staff who has previously worked at RIKEN may be subject to different rules for the period of fixed-term employment. Please refer “RIKEN employment duration for fixed-term employees” for more details if necessary.
There will be a trial period of employment (in principle, 2 months).
Salary is determined annually on the basis of the employee's experience, abilities and performance.
Commuting and housing allowances will be provided in accordance with RIKEN regulations and social insurance applies (health insurance, pension insurance, worker's accident compensation insurance, unemployment insurance, etc.). Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Saturdays and Sundays, Japanese national holidays, New Year holidays (Dec.29-Jan.3), and RIKEN Foundation Day (4th Monday in October).
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking is permitted on site (designated smoking areas are available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Prepare the documents below as PDF files and follow the instructions [How to Apply] to submit them :
Note: Incomplete application will not be considered.
Documents to submit
- 1.CV or CV with photograph and e-mail address (Please indicate the desired position (e.g. Technical Scientist) and the open call ID [IMS106-2202] in the upper right corner of the CV.)
- *Using the RIKEN format above is appreciated.
- 2.Statement of Purpose and brief description of future aspirations (within one A4-size page)
- 3.List of skills and experience (within one A4-size page).
- 4.Recommendation Letter (1)
- - The letter of recommendation should be addressed to the "Director of the Center for Integrative Medical Sciences".
- - The signature (or seal) of the person providing the recommendation is required. In the case of scanned or digital signature or an email letter of recommendation, please be sure to include contact information.
- - If it is difficult to obtain a recommendation letter from the current supervisor, a recommendation from a third party will be accepted. The letter of recommendation should be addressed to the "Director of the Center for Integrative Medical Sciences."
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters should be converted to PDF and uploaded to the following website after these files are combined into a single ZIP file:
The file name of each PDF file : IMS106-2202_(position)_Applicant's name_submitted document No.
When you upload your application documents by a ZIP file via BOX, please make sure to input your contact email address.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the subject line "IMS106-2202_[applicant's name] ". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter. Also, the referees need to input own contact email address when they upload their recommendation letters to the below URL.
Until the position is filled
- *Note: Application documents will not be returned.
- *Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email after document screening.
Handling of personal data
Only persons who pass the application screening will be interviewed. (face-to-face or remote interview)
Note: RIKEN will not cover interview travel expenses.
Start of Employment
Earliest date possible (negotiable)
For application documents and general questions:
Recruiting staff for RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
Administrative Division, RIKEN Yokohama Branch
Email: IMS-recruit [at] riken.jp
Any questions about this position and research contents:
RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
Laboratory for Large-Scale Biomedical Data Technology,
Team Leader: Dr. Takeya Kasukawa
Email: takeya.kasukawa [at] riken.jp
- *Please sent the questions by E-mail to either of above
- *Please write "Open call (IMS106-2202) Laboratory for Large-Scale Biomedical Data Technology, IMS" in the subject line.
- Updated as of July 12, 2022: "Salary and benefits"
- Updated as of Nov. 3, 2022: "Salary and benefits"