Seeking a few Research Scientists or Postdoctoral Researchers (C22-0102)
Structural analysis of microcrystals using XFEL is expected to be used in a wide range of fields, including small to middle organic compounds for drug discovery and material molecules. Structural analysis of small molecules, which have been difficult with XFEL, is now possible by systems that enable efficient and fast data collection and by combining with electron microscopic data, enabling visualization of hydrogen at a resolution higher than 1 Å. We develop systems for advanced use of XFEL in fields ranging from life to material sciences, as well as to establish time-resolved analysis.
Job title and Job description
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher: a few positions
We are looking for persons who will conduct advanced utilization research, complementary use with other methods, and development of advanced methods at the X-ray free electron laser facility, SACLA.
Job Qualifications: before the appointment date. (Candidates with less than five years.
postdoctoral experience will be considered for the position of Postdoctoral Researcher.) Experience with XFEL-based experiments and electron diffraction experiments using electron microscopy is desirable.
Branch and address
RIKEN SPring-8 Center
(1-1-1 Kouto, Sayo-cho, Sayo-gun, Hyogo 679-5148)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1. A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- 2. RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, workload at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment are considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 295,100JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher and 350,300JPY for Research Scientist, as of April 1st 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations. Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be more than 331,000 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher and 393,000 JPY for Research Scientist.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Please send the following documents to the email address given below:
- 1.Complete CV (with photo and email address)
- 2.List of research achievement and publications (reviewed papers, presentations, etc.)
- 3.Outline of previous research and aspiration for research after arrival (A4, two pages)
- 4.Letter of recommendation (including one from the current supervisor, If available)
- *These letters of recommendation should be signed or sealed by the recommender.
- *The letters should be addressed to "Tetsuya Ishikawa, Director of RIKEN SPring-8 Center".
- *If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Until the position is filled (The screening process will start as the applications are received.)
Handling Personal Data
All private data sent to RIKEN in application for employment is handled in strict confidentiality, and such data is not utilized for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party. Application documents will not be returned.
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.
Start of Employment
Contact Information / Send application to
Send application materials (PDF format) to Email: rscsc [at] spring8.or.jp
The Email title should be: (C22-0102) Application for Imaging Development Team,”
(Team Leader: Dr. Makina Yabashi)
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact rscsc [at] spring8.or.jp
- Updated as of May. 25, 2023: "Work location" and "Salary and benefits"
- Updated as of Aug. 3, 2023: "Start of Employment"