Seeking a Technical Staff (BDR-23-002)
The Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (BDR) views the functions of molecules, cells, and organs that support all life stages of organisms as a dynamic system, and aims to elucidate developmental, growth and aging phenomena as well as apply their findings to develop regenerative medicine and diagnostics, thereby contributing to the extension of healthy life expectancies
The Laboratory for Developmental Dynamics is recruiting a technical employee to carry out a new theme. The research overview of the laboratory is shown below.
Toward a predictive understanding of the development of multicellular organisms, the Laboratory for Developmental Dynamics is developing mathematical models of developmental systems and technologies for quantitative developmental biology, by combining molecular cell biology, biophysics, genome sciences, computational sciences, information sciences, mathematical sciences, etc.
For more details about the laboratory, please visit our website:
Laboratory for Developmental Dynamics | RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics
Job title and Job description
Technical Staff: 1 position
Position-specific task is as follow:
Technical Staff: Provide technical support to the laboratory which they belong to.
SSBD is an open public database for storing and sharing bioimage data and quantitative data of biosystems dynamics. We are now recruiting an individual who will work for the research and development of the SSBD as a data annotator.
Your roles are:
- 1.Select research data to store in the SSBD database from English papers.
- 2.Extract metadata (experimental conditions, materials, etc.) from the selected research data.
- 3.Organize received research data.
- 4.Convert research data and its metadata into a specified data format.
- 5.Register the converted data in the database.
Common to all positions
- graduated from graduate school and received a master’s degree or doctor’s degree in life sciences fiels.
- who has the ability to read and comprehend English academic papers in life sciences.
- who is able to dedicate themselves to the job by communicating, coordinating and collaborating smoothly with people in and out of the laboratory.
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (Kobe Campus-East-West)
2-2-3 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0047 (Developmental Biology Buildings)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, workload at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. As of April 1, 2023, the monthly base salary is 206,900 JPY for Technical StaffⅠ, 191,900 yen for Technical Staff II. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations. Discretionary work (for only Technical Staff I), commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
- Technical Staff I
- The monthly salary including base salary, variable salary, and discretionary work allowance at the time of employment for a candidate with 5 years of experience, ability, and achievement after completing their master course will be approximately 241,000 JPY.
- Technical Staff II
- The monthly salary including base salary, variable salary at the time of employment for a candidate with 5 years of experience, ability, and achievement after completing their master course will be approximately 213,000 JPY.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
- Technical Staff I
- This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
- Technical Staff II
- Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50). Supervisors may instruct employees to work outside of these hours.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
No smoking on site.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
Kobe Branch has an on-site daycare, Po-I Kids Kobe. For details, please send an email to the HR at kobe-kosei [at] riken.jp.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Application and required documents
- 1.Curriculum vitae or Curriculum vitae
- *Email address is required.
- *Application Number [BDR-23-002] and position to apply（e.g.: Technical Staff）should be clearly written at top-right in the margin.
- *Format is free. Or the format attached is available.
- 2.List of obtained skills, experienced work, research achievement (about 1 page of A4 paper)
- 3.Motivation for applying and ambition for the future (about 1 page of A4 paper)
- 4.One letter of recommendation (including one from the current supervisor, If available)
- *The recommendation letters should be addressed to "Center Director, Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research”
- *Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number and email address)
- *If it is difficult to obtain the recommendation letters from immediate manager or current supervisor, please obtain a letter from a third party.
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The above documents except the recommendation letters combined into a single PDF or ZIP file should be uploaded to the following website:
- The uploaded file name should contain the job ad number “BDR-23-002” and the applicant’s name.
- When you upload the file, your contact email address is required.
- After you uploaded the file, please let us (kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the file name "Laboratory for Developmental Dynamics [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
- After the referees uploaded the recommendation letter, please let us (kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
- If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp.
Note: All the submitted documents will not be returned.
We will examine application documents as they are accepted. Application will be closed as soon as the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interview. After documents screening, only successful applicants will be invited for interview. No inquiries on the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of Employment
As soon as possible (Negotiable)
For inquiries on this open position, please contact below by email:
Human Resources Section, Kobe Administrative Division, Kobe Branch, RIKEN
Email: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact sonami [at] riken.jp (Laboratory for Developmental Dynamics, Team Leader Shuichi ONAMI)
We highly recommend contacting Team Leader Shuichi ONAMI [sonami [at] riken.jp] in advance of your official application.
Updated as of June. 2, 2023: "Work location", "Salary and benefits"