Seeking a few Senior Technical Scientists or Technical Scientists (R-CCS2319)
The RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS), led by Center Director Satoshi Matsuoka, is an international hub for computational science that promotes “science of computing, by computing, and for computing.” R-CSS positions the technology in which RIKEN has strengths (R-CCS technology) and the software developed by RIKEN that contributes to science, technology, industry, and society (R-CCS software) as its “core competence in computational science driving science as a whole.” R-CCS aims to develop these technologies, disseminate them domestically and internationally, and produce results. In addition, R-CCS is utilizing its expertise to operate the supercomputer Fugaku which was developed as a national project in accordance with Japanese laws and regulations.
The Quantum-HPC Hybrid Platform Division (Quantum-HPC PF Div. ) was established on April 1, 2023. We aim to design and develop a Quantum-HPC Hybrid platform, which will serve as a new computational infrastructure to extend the computable domain by highly linking a Quantum Computer (QC) and a supercomputer (HPC). The missions of the Quantum-HPC PF Div. include the development of software stacks required to realize the Quantum-HPC Hybrid platform and the improvement of the platform's usage environment.
The Quantum-HPC PF Div. has three units:
- 1)Quantum-HPC Hybrid Software Environment Unit
- 2)Quantum Computing Simulation Unit
- 3)Quantum-HPC Hybrid Platform Operations Unit
The Quantum-HPC Hybrid Platform Operations Unit shall develop and operate the environment of the quantum HPC platform. It will also develop and upgrade the usage environment to promote common use of both for users.
Job title and Job description
Senior Technical Scientist or Technical Scientist: a few positions
We will develop and operate the environment of the “Quantum-HPC Hybrid platform“. In addition, we will develop and upgrade the usage environment to promote common usage of both for users. Specific research and development themes are expected to include the following.
- Development of a data center environment for introducing a quantum computer (QC) and researching and developing a hybrid environment with a supercomputer (HPC).
- Development and operation of a system to connect the quantum computer (QC) and the HPC system, including the supercomputer Fugaku via a high-performance network and to collaborate them at a high level.
- Development and operation of a system that enables concurrent use of the quantum computer and HPC systems connected by a wide-area network.
- Developing and operating a user management system to promote using the QC and HPC collaborative environment.
- Development and maintenance of a system and software environment that enables existing HPC users to use the quantum computer without problems.
- Design a system to make QC and related systems available to RIKEN, associated projects, and the general public.
They are also expected to contribute to the management of the department. In particular, the Senior Technical Scientist is expected to assist the Unit Leader, play a leadership role within the Unit, and make a significant contribution to the department and unit operations.
Applicants must have a doctoral degree in a related field or expect to receive a doctoral degree before the date of appointment. In general, those who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years will be appointed as Postdoctoral Researcher, and those who earned a doctorate more than 5 years ago will be appointed as Research Scientist. Senior Technical Scientist must have advanced research and development (R&D) capabilities and R&D achievements, as well as experience in providing guidance to researchers and others. Excellent communication skill in Japanese is required.
Branch and address
RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS)
7-1-26, Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0047, JAPAN
R-CCS Wako Branch
2-1, Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama, 351-0198, JAPAN
Work location is to be adjusted according to the content of the R&D to be conducted, etc.
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to seven years since the initial date of hire.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
RIKEN has indefinite-term positions, which are subject to the mandatory retirement age of 60. There is a subsequent re-employment program allowing hiring until age of 65. Any scientists, including fixed-term employees who have been hired through this open call, are eligible to apply to open calls for indefinite-term positions.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 421,900 JPY for Technical Scientist and 472,100 JPY for Senior Technical Scientist as of April 1, 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of annual salary at the time of employment:
The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment will be more than 474,190 JPY for Technical Scientist and 530,615 JPY for Senior Technical Scientist.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days per year depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work-life balance holidays (up to 7 days per year depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
No smoking on site.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
The Kobe Branch has an on-site daycare, Po-I Kids Kobe.
For details, please send an email to the HR at kobe-kosei [at] riken.jp.
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako.
For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Please prepare the following documents in English.
- 1.CV or CV
No format specified. Please make sure to include applicant’s name, date of birth, nationality, academic background, work history including the applicant’s current affiliation, and email address.
The attached format is available for your convenience.
List of R&D achievements
Include not only peer-reviewed papers but also a list of patents, a list of invited lectures. Also include quantitative measures for evaluation such as the Google Scholar citation index, whenever possible.
Copies of up to five most important publications (Please mark the papers on the list of publications.)
When the original publications are not in PDF format, scan the papers and save them as PDF documents prior to submission.
- 4. List of competitive funds acquired, awards received, and other achievements including, contributions to university/institution operations, contribution to society through activities in academic societies, joint research projects, technology transfers, etc.
- 5.Description of previous R&D, future R&D plans, and career goals: No format specified, approximately three to four A4 pages in total. It is desirable that a diagram describing the research is provided.
- 6.Recommendation letters in English from one or two persons who can evaluate your work
- *One recommendation letter should be written by the applicant’s current supervisor. When it is difficult to do so, a recommendation letter written by a third party may be accepted.
- *Recommendation letters must be sent directly by the referees.
- *The letters should be addressed to R-CCS Director. Digital signature image can be embedded in the recommendation letters within the PDF file. Or please specify the referee’s contact information (name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address) in the letter. Please make sure to write the date.
Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Combine the above documents except the recommendation letters into a single PDF file and upload them to the following website:
Applications for R-CCS Quantum-HPC Hybrid Platform Operations Unit
The file name of the PDF should contain the job ad number “R-CCS2319 Quantum-HPC Hybrid Platform Operations Unit” and the applicant’s name. Please write the name of the position that you apply for in the “Add additional information” box.
After you uploaded the PDF file, please let us (kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file. When you send us an email, please write your name, Job Ad number and the name of the position that you apply for.
When the recommendation letter is directly submitted from the referees, please ask them to send it to (kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp) by attaching it to the email. Please write "R-CCS Quantum-HPC Hybrid Platform Operations Unit, [name of the position], [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)” in the subject line and specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the email.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Handling Personal Data
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and interviews will be conducted for selected applicants (2 interviews). No inquiries on the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of employment
At the earliest opportunity (subject to negotiation)
Application files will not be returned.
For inquiries on research conducted by the team, please contact the Team Leader by email:
Quantum-HPC Hybrid Platform Operations Unit,
Quantum-HPC Hybrid Platform Division,
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
Email: shinichi.miura [at] riken.jp