Seeking Research Scientists or Postdoctoral Researchers (W23172)
We develop quantum electron devices based on manipulation and transfer of quantum degrees of freedom in solids. We employ quantum electron optics, where quantum states of propagating electrons are manipulated, and experiments on manipulation of novel quantum degrees of freedom in atomic-layer materials. These experiments aim to reveal physics of quantum coherence, quantum correlations, and quantum conversions, as guiding principles for quantum electron devices. We also employ state of the art quantum technologies to solve long-standing problems in condensed matter physics from microscopic points of view.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist 2 positions
- Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree less than 5 years.
- Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or more.
*Job judgment will be decided based on applicant's ability, aptitude etc.
The successful candidates will work on quantum transport in semiconductor nanostructures or atomic layer materials. Examples are development of quantum devices and quantum information technologies based on electron wave packets propagating on semiconductor quantum circuits, and quantum simulation experiments using 2D materials.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree by experimental study in the solid state physics field, or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree by experimental study in the solid state physics field before the work start date.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 5 years of employment for Postdoctoral Researcher and Research Scientist. (However, for Research Scientists, if the center director approves as an exception, the contract may be renewed.)
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be an annual salary based on experience, ability, and performance, and will consist of a base salary and a variable salary. The variable salary will be determined each fiscal year based on experience, ability, and performance. The monthly base salary is 295,100 JPY for Postdoctoral Researcher and range from 350,300 JPY to 472,100 JPY for Research Scientist as of April 1, 2023. The monthly base salary and variable salary are subject to change due to amendments to RIKEN regulations.
Discretionary work, commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
The approximate amount of monthly salary at the time of employment:
- If hired as a Postdoctoral Researcher
- The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment for a candidate with 3 years of experience, ability, and achievement after completion of the doctoral course will be approximately 450,000 JPY.
- If hired as a Research Scientist
- The monthly salary including discretionary work allowance at the time of employment for a candidate with 7 years of experience, ability, and achievement after completion of the doctoral course will be approximately 550,000 JPY.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
Paid leave includes annual paid leave (up to 20 days depending on the month of employment), special paid leave (childcare, family nursing care, etc.), and work life balance holidays (up to 7 days depending on the month of employment).
There are also additional leave systems such as maternity leave, childcare leave, and family nursing care leave.
Smoking is not permitted on site except in designated smoking areas. Smoking will be entirely prohibited on site from April 2024.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
The Wako Campus has an on-site daycare, RIKEN Kids Wako. For details, please send an email to the HR at kids [at] riken.jp.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
Please indicate either A or B.
- A (RIKEN CV) Write the open call ID “W23172”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- B (Original CV) Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W23172).
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- *Please specify the referee’s contact information (Name, affiliation, job title, phone number, and email address)
- 4.Up to 5 set of copies of your major papers
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Please make inquiries to the contact address listed below prior to the application. Then, the above documents except the recommendation letters combined into a single ZIP file should be uploaded to the following website:
The uploaded file name should contain your name.
After you uploaded the ZIP file, please let us (michihisa.yamamoto [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
Recommendation letters must be directly submitted from the referees to the following website with the subject line "Center for Emergent Matter Science, position name [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)". Please specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the recommendation letter.
After the referees uploaded the recommendation letter , please let us (michihisa.yamamoto [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: michihisa.yamamoto [at] riken.jp.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
As early as possible
Contact information/Send application to
Quantum Electron Device Research Team, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Email: michihisa.yamamoto [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.