RIKEN SPring-8 Center Basic Laser Development Team
Team Leader: Takunori Taira (Ph.D.)
“Micro Solid-State Photonics”, based on micro-domain structures and boundary-controlled materials such as laser ceramics and quasi-phase-matching (QPM) devices, can enhance optical effects for the creation of new functions in micro- or micro-chip lasers.
Recently, we invented a multi-chip gain medium for distributed face cooling (DFC), which can manage high-gain and high-field lasers with compact systems by our original atomic-level direct bonding.
The Basic Laser Development Team will develop compact power lasers based on these Tiny Integrated Lasers (TILA) to provide extreme “giant-power”, opening the future for “Giant Micro-photonics” and advanced electron accelerators.
Main Research Fields
- Interdisciplinary Science & Engineering
Related Research Fields
- Quantum beam science
- Applied physics
- Tiny Integrated Lasers (TILA)
- Giant Micro-photonics
- Micro Solid-State Photonics
- Orientation Controlled Ceramic Lasers
- Large Aperture Quasi Phase Matching (QPM) devices
Papers with an asterisk(*) are based on research conducted outside of RIKEN.
- 1.*N.H. Matlis, F. Ahr, A.-L. Calendron, H. Cankaya, G. Cirmi, T. Eichner, A. Fallahi, M. Fakhari, A. Hartin, M. Hemmer, W.R. Huang, H. Ishizuki, S.W. Jolly, V. Leroux, A.R. Maier, J. Meier, W. Qiao, K. Ravi, D.N. Schimpf, T. Taira, X. Wu, L. Zapata, C. Zapata, D. Zhang, C. Zhou, F.X. Kärtner.:
"Acceleration of electrons in THz driven structures for AXSIS,"
Nuclear Inst. and Methods in Physics Research, A (in press). DOI: 10.1016/j.nima.2018.01.074
- 2.*Yahia, V., and Taira, T.:
"High brightness energetic pulses delivered by compact microchip-MOPA system,"
Opt. Express, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 8609-8618 (2018)
- 3.*Sato, Y., Akiyama, J., and Taira, T.:
"Process design of microdomains with quantum mechanics for giant pulse lasers,"
Scientific Reports, 7: 10732 (11 pages) (2017)
- 4.*Zheng, L., Kausas, A., Taira, T.:
"Drastic thermal effects reduction through distributed face cooling in a high power giant-pulse tiny laser,"
Opt. Mater. Express, vol. 7, no. 9, pp. 3214-3221 (2017)
- 5.*Taira, T.:
"Domain-controlled laser ceramics toward giant micro-photonics [Invited],"
Opt. Mater. Express, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 1040-1050 (2011)
- 6.*Sakai, H., Kan, H., and Taira, T.:
">1 MW peak power single-mode high-brightness passively Q-switched Nd3+:YAG microchip laser"
Opt. Express, vol. 16, no. 24, pp. 19891-19899 (2008)
- 7.*Taira, T.:
"RE3+-ion-doped YAG ceramic lasers,"
IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron., vol. 13, no. 3, May/June, pp. 798-809 (2007.5-6).
- 8.*Taira, T., Ikesue, A., and Yoshida, T.:
"Diode-pumped Nd:YAG ceramics lasers"
OSA TOPS on Advanced Solid-State Lasers, vol.19, no. 3, pp. 430-432 (1998).
- 9.*Taira, T., Tulloch, W. M. and Byer, R.L.:
"Modeling of quasi-three-level lasers and operation of CW Yb:YAG lasers"
Appl. Opt., vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1867-1874 (1997)
- 10.*Taira, T., Mukai, A., Nozawa, Y., and Kobayashi, T.:
"Single-mode oscillation of laser-diode-pumped Nd:YVO4 microchip lasers"
Opt. Lett., vol. 16, no. 24, pp. 1955-1957 (1991)
- Takunori Taira
- Team Leader
- Hideki Ishizuki
- Research Scientist
- Yoichi Sato
- Research Scientist
1-1-1 Kouto, Sayo-cho,
Tel: +81-(0)791-58-0803 (PHS:7805)
Email: taira [at] spring8.or.jp