Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (R-CCS2022)
The RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS), led by Center Director Satoshi Matsuoka, is an international hub for computational science that promotes “science of computing, by computing, and for computing.” R-CSS positions the technology in which RIKEN has strengths (R-CCS technology) and the software developed by RIKEN that contributes to science, technology, industry, and society (R-CCS software) as its “core competence in computational science driving science as a whole.” R-CCS aims to develop these technologies, disseminate them domestically and internationally, and produce results. In addition, R-CCS is utilizing its expertise to operate the supercomputer “Fugaku” which was developed as a national project in accordance with Japanese laws and regulations.
The Processor Research Team ("Processor team") conducts researches to investigate and develop
- -novel computer architectures,
- -hardware systems,
- -their computing/programming models, and
- -system software,
in order to explore next-generation high-performance computing systems which are suitable in the forthcoming Post-Moore era, where semiconductor scaling with Moore's law almost fails. For example, we research and develop new non-von-Neumann computers based on the wired-logic (or we call Spatial) data-flow computing model, by building a prototype system with FPGA cluster as accelerators for computing and networking, to complement and/or expand the existing HPC architectures such like the supercomputer Fugaku.
Job title and job descriptions
Research Scientist* or Postdoctoral Researcher: A few positions Research Scientist
Conduct researches regarding novel computer architectures, hardware systems, their computing models, programming models, system software, and/or their applications, toward an exploration of next-generation HPC systems which are promising in the forthcoming Post-Moore era. Conduct the researches not only within our research team, but also in cooperation with researchers of other R-CCS teams, domestic and foreign laboratories, universities, and companies. For example, by using our own FPGA cluster with 16 Stratix10 FPGAs, conduct researches on the following themes:
- 1.Research on HPC programming for reconfigurable devices such like FPGAs. Explore methodologies to allow FPGAs to perform high-performance computing for some parts of software programs by using an HLS compiler for FPGAs. This theme includes research and development of hardware systems which are necessary for HPC on FPGAs (such like FPGA Shell, and hardware modules for FPGAs).
- 2.Research on system software for resource management and task scheduling in a system where a lot of reconfigurable devices are connected by dedicated networks, such like an FPGA cluster.
- 3.Research on application development and evaluation for the above system of 1, 2, and our own FPGA cluster with 16 Stratix10 FPGAs. Explore new application fields for reconfigurable HPC as well as investigating applicability and suitability of the above system to a wide range of high-performance computing problems including AI and combinational-problem solvers.
In addition to the above research and development, take charge of various tasks in Processor team and R-CCS.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of appointment. In general, those who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years will be appointed as Postdoctoral Researchers, and those who earned a doctorate more than 5 years ago will be appointed as Research Scientists.
Processor team is interested in skilled and motivated applicants who have expertise and knowledge in computer architectures, system software such as compilers and schedulers, and OS. Applicants with deep background and experience of the above R&D, and necessary skills of software programming, circuit design and implementation in HDL, and hardware development with FPGAs are also considered with a great plus. Expertise with other related research areas is also considered. Excellent communication skill in English (or Japanese) is required. Such applicants are desired, who are proactive in exploring and expanding research themes by themselves.
Branch and address
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
6-3-5, Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0047, JAPAN
RIKEN has implemented a work-from-home system. Employees can work from home in accordance with the prescribed procedures.
Salary and benefits
- 1.(Postdoctoral Researcher) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to five years since the initial date of hire.
- 2.(Research Scientist) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to seven years since the initial date of hire.
- 3.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Please prepare the following documents in English.
No format specified. Please make sure to include applicant’s name, date of birth, nationality, academic background, work history including the applicant’s current affiliation, and email address.
List of research achievements
Include not only peer-reviewed papers but also awards and competitive funds received, achievements in research while working in the private sectors. Also include quantitative evaluation indexes such as the Google Scholar citation index as much as possible.
Copies of up to five most important publications (Please mark the papers on the list of publications.)
When the original publications are not in PDF format, scan the papers and save them as PDF documents prior to submission.
- 4. Description of previous research, future research plans, and career goals: No format specified, approximately three to four A4 pages in total. It is desirable that a diagram describing the research is provided.
- 5.Recommendation letter(s) (in English) from one or two individual(s) with their signatures
One recommendation letter should be written by the applicant’s current supervisor. When it is difficult to do so, a recommendation letter written by a third party may be accepted. The letter should be addressed to the R-CCS Director. Digital signature image should be embedded in the recommendation letters within the PDF file.
Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Combine the above documents except the recommendation letters into a single PDF file and upload them to the following link:
The file name of the PDF should contain the job ad number “R-CCS2022, Processor Research Team” and the applicant’s name. Please write the name of the position that you apply for in the “Add additional information” box.
After you uploaded the PDF file, please let us (kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file. When you send us an email, please write your name, Job Ad number and the name of the position that you apply for.
When the recommendation letter is directly submitted from the referees, please ask them to send it to (kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp) by attaching it to the email. Please write "R-CCS Processor Research Team, [name of the position], [applicant’s name] (Recommendation letter)” in the subject line and specify the applicant's name, referee's name and contact information in the email.
If a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp.
We recommend applicants to contact us by email on employment conditions and subjects of research/development in advance to your formal application.
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Handling Personal Data
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and interviews will be conducted for selected applicants (2 interviews for Research Scientist position and one interview for Postdoctoral Researcher position.) No inquiries on the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of employment
As early as possible (Negotiable)
Application files will not be returned.
- Updated as of Apr 6, 2021: "Research Field" and "Required documents"
- Updated as of Apr 22, 2021: "Contact Information / Send application to"
- Updated as of Nov. 9, 2022: "Salary and benefits"
- Updated as of Aug. 3, 2023: "Research field" and "Application and required documents"
Contact Information / Send application to
Combine all the application documents into a single PDF document and submit to the email address below.
Email: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
Please use the subject line “[R-CCS2022] R-CCS Processor Research Team – Research Scientist” or “[R-CCS2022] Processor Research Team – Postdoctoral Researcher” when applying.
For inquiries on research conducted by the team, please contact the Team Leader by email:
Dr. Kentaro Sano
Processor Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
Email: kentaro.sano [at] riken.jp