Seeking Postdoctoral Researchers or Research Scientists (R-CCS2027)
RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS), led by Center Director Satoshi Matsuoka, is an international research center in high performance computing and computational science in Japan. Our objectives are to investigate “the Science of (high performance) computing, by computing, and for computing”, to research and develop our technologies (R-CCS technology) and software (R-CCS software), which we consider our core competence, in order to produce world-leading scientific and engineering results for use in Japan as well as globally.
Also, R-CCS started operating Japan’s national flagship supercomputer, the K computer, as a shared national facility to support a wide range of research activities in 2011. Following K’s success, development work on its successor, Supercomputer Fugaku, was launched in April 2014.
One of our main focuses is to develop state-of-the-art numerical methods for simulating ground states as well as quantum dynamics of strongly correlated quantum systems. We are also interested in developing quantum algorithms for quantum many-body systems and quantum computing simulations using classical computers such as Supercomputer Fugaku, as a ground challenge of information science in quest of a new computing paradigm.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist: 1~2 positions
Successful candidates are expected to work on one (or more than one) of the following projects in collaboration with other team members:
- 1.Development of numerical methods for strongly correlated quantum systems, such as quantum Monte Carlo methods, density matrix renormalization group methods, and tensor network methods, and application of these methods to study strongly correlated quantum systems,
- 2.Application of machine learning techniques to strongly correlated quantum systems,
- 3.Development of quantum algorithms for quantum many-body systems and demonstration of these algorithms using classical/quantum computers, and
- 4.Development of quantum computing simulations using classical computers such as Supercomputer Fugaku.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of appointment. In general, those who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years will be appointed as Postdoctoral Researchers, and those who earned a doctorate more than 5 years ago will be appointed as Research Scientists. Candidates in the fields of condensed matter physics, statistical physics, quantum chemistry, quantum information, and machine learning are encouraged to apply.
Branch and address
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
7-1-26, Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0047, JAPAN
Salary and benefits
- 1.(Research Scientist) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to seven years since the initial date of hire.
- 2.(Postdoctoral Researcher) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to five years since the initial date of hire.
- 3.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 4.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Applications are accepted by email only. However, when the application documents are too large to submit by email, it is recommended to employ file transfer services on the internet. Before submitting the applications, make sure the documents are encrypted and send us the password information separately. Upon receipt, we will check whether all the required documents are included and send an acknowledgement of receipt. If you do not receive the acknowledgement email, please contact us at the email address in “Contact information” below.
Please prepare the following documents in English.
No format specified. Please make sure to include applicant’s name, date of birth, nationality, academic background, work history including the applicant’s current affiliation, and email address.
- 2.List of research achievements
Include not only peer-reviewed papers but also awards and competitive funds received, achievements in research while working in the private sectors. Also include quantitative evaluation indexes such as the Google Scholar citation index as much as possible.
- 3.Copies of up to five most important publications (Please mark the papers on the list of publications.)
When the original publications are not in PDF format, scan the papers and save them as PDF documents prior to submission.
- 4.Description of previous research, future research plans, and career goals: No format specified, approximately three to four A4 pages in total. It is desirable that a diagram describing the research is provided.
- 5.Recommendation letter(s) (in English) from one or two individual(s) with their signatures
One recommendation letter should be written by the applicant’s current supervisor. When it is difficult to do so, a recommendation letter written by a third party may be accepted. The letter should be addressed to RIKEN R-CCS Director. Digital signature image should be embedded in the recommendation letters within the PDF file.
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Handling Personal Data
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and interviews will be conducted for selected applicants (2 interviews for Research Scientist position and one interview for Postdoctoral Researcher position.) No inquiries on the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of Employment
June 1, 2021 or later (negotiable)
Application files will not be returned.
Contact Information / Send application to
Combine all the application documents into a single PDF document and submit to the email address below.
Email: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
Please use the subject line “[Job Ad Number] R-CCS Computational Materials Science Research Team – Research Scientist” or “[Job Ad Number] R-CCS Computational Materials Science Research Team – Postdoctoral Researcher” when applying.
For inquiries on research conducted by the team, please contact the Team Leader by email:
Computational Materials Science Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
Email: yunoki [at] riken.jp